Sunderland vs Manchester United: Ryan Giggs Rues Decisions and Luck After Another Disappointing Defeat
By Deepak Vikraman | January 8, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Manchester United player/coach Ryan Giggs felt his side was on the wrong end of decisions and luck in the 2-1 defeat to Sunderland in the Capital One Cup semifinal first leg on Tuesday night.
Giggs was culpable for the opening goal for Sunderland, putting the ball into his own net off a Sunderland freekick, which according to United should never have been, before Nemanja Vidic headed early in the second half to restore parity for the Red Devils. However, a Fabio Borini penalty, following a challenge from Tom Cleverley on Adam Johnson, gave Sunderland a vital 2-1 lead to take into the second leg at Old Trafford in two weeks' time.
"I thought both decisions were harsh," Giggs told MUTV. "I thought the first one was a freekick to us but saying that, we still have got to defend the free kick. We got punished for that, but we were getting back into the game with a great header from Nemanja [Vidic] and it looked like there was only going to be one winner. We created enough chances, but unfortunately the decisions went against us.
On another day United might have been a couple of goals ahead, with Adnan Januzaj and Giggs coming close, and the veteran midfielder rued the fact that the rub of the green just did not turn his side's way at the Stadium of Light.
"We did not have that little bit of luck, I hit the crossbar and Adnan hit a shot against me when I was offside," the 40-year-old added. "On another day that would have gone in or been given, but it just did not go for us tonight. We'll keep plugging away and we'll look forward to the second leg. We are still in it, and we look forward to it at Old Trafford.
"We were quite happy with our performance, we felt we did enough to at least get a draw, although I think we can work on the quality of our crosses and shots when we get into the final third. The only chances they [Sunderland] really had were setpieces. It was just one of those nights."
Meanwhile, Sunderland manager Gus Poyet was over the moon with his team's victory. "I think we did our bit, we made it difficult for them when they were in possession, we tried to defend our way, Manchester United had shots from distance but they didn't create a clear chance," Poyet told Sunderland's official website. "It [the first goal] was right at the end of the first half, which is always important, it's a different meeting at halftime when you score so late but credit to the players -- they understood what was needed at the right time."
Poyet also praised Johnson, who looked a threat after coming on in the second half. "It is little details that change games and maybe today the difference at the end was Johnno," he added. "He came on and made a few runs and gave us an extra bit on the ball."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories