Sunderland vs Manchester United: Ryan Giggs Rues Decisions and Luck After Another Disappointing Defeat
By Deepak Vikraman | January 8, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Manchester United player/coach Ryan Giggs felt his side was on the wrong end of decisions and luck in the 2-1 defeat to Sunderland in the Capital One Cup semifinal first leg on Tuesday night.
Giggs was culpable for the opening goal for Sunderland, putting the ball into his own net off a Sunderland freekick, which according to United should never have been, before Nemanja Vidic headed early in the second half to restore parity for the Red Devils. However, a Fabio Borini penalty, following a challenge from Tom Cleverley on Adam Johnson, gave Sunderland a vital 2-1 lead to take into the second leg at Old Trafford in two weeks' time.
"I thought both decisions were harsh," Giggs told MUTV. "I thought the first one was a freekick to us but saying that, we still have got to defend the free kick. We got punished for that, but we were getting back into the game with a great header from Nemanja [Vidic] and it looked like there was only going to be one winner. We created enough chances, but unfortunately the decisions went against us.
On another day United might have been a couple of goals ahead, with Adnan Januzaj and Giggs coming close, and the veteran midfielder rued the fact that the rub of the green just did not turn his side's way at the Stadium of Light.
"We did not have that little bit of luck, I hit the crossbar and Adnan hit a shot against me when I was offside," the 40-year-old added. "On another day that would have gone in or been given, but it just did not go for us tonight. We'll keep plugging away and we'll look forward to the second leg. We are still in it, and we look forward to it at Old Trafford.
"We were quite happy with our performance, we felt we did enough to at least get a draw, although I think we can work on the quality of our crosses and shots when we get into the final third. The only chances they [Sunderland] really had were setpieces. It was just one of those nights."
Meanwhile, Sunderland manager Gus Poyet was over the moon with his team's victory. "I think we did our bit, we made it difficult for them when they were in possession, we tried to defend our way, Manchester United had shots from distance but they didn't create a clear chance," Poyet told Sunderland's official website. "It [the first goal] was right at the end of the first half, which is always important, it's a different meeting at halftime when you score so late but credit to the players -- they understood what was needed at the right time."
Poyet also praised Johnson, who looked a threat after coming on in the second half. "It is little details that change games and maybe today the difference at the end was Johnno," he added. "He came on and made a few runs and gave us an extra bit on the ball."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date