Manny Pacquiao's Next Fight: Adviser Michael Koncz Reveals Two of the Top 4 Contenders
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 8, 2014 4:36 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao's next fight remains one of the subjects that boxing fans relentlessly like to discuss and talk about. As much as people are anticipating for Floyd Mayweather to reveal his next opponent, people are also eager to find out the fighter that the Filipino boxing icon will face on his next fight.
Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao attends a training session at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau
Hall of Famer promoter Bob Arum has reportedly reserved April 12 for Pacquiao's next fight, but the next opponent has not been officially decided yet. Arum said in an interview with Sports Illustrated that a rematch with Bradley is likely to happen. He said he is aware that Juan Manuel Marquez has no intentions of fighting Pacquiao for the fifth time, so he is not going to beg the Mexican boxer to do it. "What I would like to do is if Pacquiao fights Bradley, have Ruslan fight Marquez," said Arum. He also said that having Marquez fight Ruslan would serve as a punishment for the Mexican after refusing to fight Pacquiao.
Additionally, Pacquiao's Canadian adviser Michael Koncz has exclusively talked to a local Philippine newspaper and said that the eight-division world champion is inching closer toward making a decision within the next few days.
Koncz stated that it is his job to deliberate the best options in terms of compensation for Pacquiao. "I'll lay down the options then Manny makes the final decision on whom to fight," said Koncz. The Canadian financial adviser also stated that Pacquiao's next fight is entirely his call and not Arum's.
Koncz revealed that there are 4 fighters being considered for Pacquiao's next fight. He revealed the two candidates, Timothy Bradley and Ruslan Provodnikov, but refused to disclose the other two contenders.
If you are asking if Floyd Mayweather is one of the contenders, it is really hard to tell because Koncz declined to comment. "I can't speak for Floyd or Ellerbe," he said.
Is a rematch between Pacquiao and Bradley a good idea? Many people believed that Pacquiao was robbed in a bad decision after his fight against Bradley in 2012. What about Ruslan Provodnikov? There is still that chance that the Filipino boxing icon may end up facing his former sparring mate and current WBO junior welterweight champion.
The Filipino boxer is expected to fly to the U.S. as soon Pacquiao's next fight is set. Koncz said that Pacquiao isn't rushing to travel due to the fact his tax case remains an unfinished business. Nonetheless, Pacquiao's team is optimistic that the legal dilemma that he is currently battling will be settled soon.
MORE BOXING NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown