Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/8/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | January 8, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Wednesday's trading session is panning out in similar fashion to Tuesday, with the Australian market fading after a strong start. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down by close to 0.2 per cent, with the miners once again the worst performers.
Electronic information boards display market information at the London Stock Exchange in the City of London. (Reuters)
Futures were pointing to a rise today, as U.S. markets posted healthy improvements overnight. The DOW recorded its first triple digit gain of 2014, rising by 0.64 per cent. Better than expected U.S. monthly trade numbers were a catalyst for the rise as it could result in firmer than expected fourth quarter GDP (growth) in North America and shows that the U.S. is (seemingly) taking steps in the right direction.
The mining sector locally is down by 0.7 per cent with iron ore producer Fortescue Metals (FMG) once again a drag despite a report showing iron exports out of Port Hedland last month rose by 5 per cent. FMG is down 1.5 per cent, taking the pullback this month to 7.8 per cent. On a positive note, this is the first month of losses for FMG since June last year. FMG rose by 91 per cent between July and December 2013 as iron ore prices remained robust.
PNG focused oil company, Oil Search (OSH) is up 1 per cent after receiving a broker upgrade from a sell to neutral yesterday.
In early trade, the big four banks were higher which helped keep the market positive, until all majors gave away their gains at lunch.
No major economic news is out today in Australia or the region to drive trade and volume remains relatively light, with investors remaining in holiday mode.
At lunch, 858 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.4 billion (more than in recent days). 404 stocks are higher, 372 are in the red and 290 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 21, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports