Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/8/14
By Steven Daghlian, CommSec Market Analyst | January 8, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Wednesday's trading session is panning out in similar fashion to Tuesday, with the Australian market fading after a strong start. The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down by close to 0.2 per cent, with the miners once again the worst performers.
Electronic information boards display market information at the London Stock Exchange in the City of London. (Reuters)
Futures were pointing to a rise today, as U.S. markets posted healthy improvements overnight. The DOW recorded its first triple digit gain of 2014, rising by 0.64 per cent. Better than expected U.S. monthly trade numbers were a catalyst for the rise as it could result in firmer than expected fourth quarter GDP (growth) in North America and shows that the U.S. is (seemingly) taking steps in the right direction.
The mining sector locally is down by 0.7 per cent with iron ore producer Fortescue Metals (FMG) once again a drag despite a report showing iron exports out of Port Hedland last month rose by 5 per cent. FMG is down 1.5 per cent, taking the pullback this month to 7.8 per cent. On a positive note, this is the first month of losses for FMG since June last year. FMG rose by 91 per cent between July and December 2013 as iron ore prices remained robust.
PNG focused oil company, Oil Search (OSH) is up 1 per cent after receiving a broker upgrade from a sell to neutral yesterday.
In early trade, the big four banks were higher which helped keep the market positive, until all majors gave away their gains at lunch.
No major economic news is out today in Australia or the region to drive trade and volume remains relatively light, with investors remaining in holiday mode.
At lunch, 858 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.4 billion (more than in recent days). 404 stocks are higher, 372 are in the red and 290 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6