LG Nexus 5: 5 Main Issues And Quick Fixes - Wi-Fi Drop, Battery Drain, Poor Camera And Overheating
By Ryan Inoyori | January 8, 2014 4:25 PM EST
LG Nexus 5 has brought the newest features of Android 4.4 KitKat and an optical image stabilization camera module. However, the latest Nexus phone suffers several hardware and software problems as reported by users. Here are the most common issues and easy ways to fix them all.
Wi-Fi Disconnecting Or Dropping
Nexus 5 isn't an exemption with this issue and users report they are unable to connect the Internet Wi-Fi or drops by moving to a short distance away from the router.
1. Enable Airplane mode then turn off or toggle the Wi-Fi on and off to reset the connection.
2. Reboot the Nexus 5 to refresh the entire system.
3. Switch off the Wi-Fi router for 10 seconds then turn it back on.
4. On the Nexus 5 Settings menu, select Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi > Forget the network the problem then reconnect and entire the right details.
5. Update the firmware of the Wi-Fi router by checking the Web site from your Internet Service Provider's manual.
6. Change the band on your Nexus 5. Go to Settings > Wireless and networks > Wi-Fi > Menu key > Advance > Wi-Fi frequency band > Try 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz only instead of Auto. Uncheck the Avoid Poor Connections as well to improve Wi-Fi connectivity.
7. Download the Wi-Fi Analyser app to check problems on the crowded channel.
Battery Drain And Issues
Unfortunately, Nexus 5 only boasts 2300 mAh battery pack which drains fairly quick compared with other flagship smartphones.
1. Conserve battery by managing wireless connections, brightness, screen time-out and wallpaper.
2. Enable GPS battery saving mode. Go to Settings > Location mode > Battery saver instead of High Accuracy.
3. If the charger makes loud buzzing sound, heats up or fails to recharge the phone, try an alternative charger instead. Use the USB cable to charge it on a computer and see the differences.
4. Purchase an extended battery case or power bank to recharge the device anywhere.
Poor Camera Performance
Some complaints the poor performance of Nexus 5's camera due to blurry captures, slow auto-focus and shutter lag.
Solution: Update the LG Nexus 5 to Android 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 KitKat which brings the ultimate camera fix provided by Google. Go to Settings > About phone > System updates.
Low Quality Audio
Many users suffer speaker problems such as reverb or muffling at lower volumes using the speaker.
1. Make sure that nothing is blocking the speaker grills.
2. Turn the Equaliser to improve audio output. Go to Google Play Music > Settings > Equaliser.
3. Turn off the virtual surround sound when playing music via speaker.
4. Update the Nexus 5 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat to solve majority of audio issues.
Nexus 5 may suffer overheating issues during heavy gaming due to high graphics rendering. Some users reported that Nexus 5 can reach up to 50 degrees Celsius during overheating status.
1. Play heavy games in a well-ventilated place, with air-conditioning or fan to help it cool down.
2. Don't place the Nexus 5 on direct sunlight to prevent damaging internal parts.
3. Never leave the smartphone inside the car to avoid accumulating heat and damaging the battery.
4. Avoid playing high graphics gaming during recharging time to prevent overheating unless your area is very cool.
5. If tasks aren't intensive and yet the phone suffers overheating, visit the service center and ask for replacement for the problem may be a factory defect.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand