Uncensored: China’s Smog Haze Situation Claims Half A Million Lives Annually
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Until recently, news from China about its environmental concerns and problems were highly censored. But because it can no longer literally put a lid to control its spreading and unmanageable air pollution, China has admitted the smog haze situation in the country has already claimed thousands of lives.
In a commentary in Lancet published December 2013, Chen Zhu, China's Health minister, has finally and flatly given a number as to the death tally of the country's air pollution problem.
"Studies by the World Bank, WHO, and the Chinese Academy for Environmental Planning on the effect of air pollution on health concluded that between 350,000 and 500,000 people die prematurely each year as a result of outdoor air pollution in China," Mr Chen said in his commentary, which he co-wrote with Wang Jinnan, Ma Guoxia and Zhang Yanshen from the Ministry of Environmental Protection.
Until last year, Mr Chen was China's health minister.
At a time when the country's statistics on cigarette smoking is declining, deaths from air pollution was doing the opposite.
"When I see patients who are not smokers with no other risk factors, we have to assume that the most probable cause is pollution," Bai Chunxue from Shanghai's Zhongshan Hospital was quoted by Columbian News in December. Mr Bai is likewise chairman of the Shanghai Respiratory Research Institute.
Air pollution in China, according to Mr Chen, is now "the fourth biggest threat to the health of Chinese people" next to heart disease, dietary risk and smoking.
He also said China's leading cause of death is lung cancer.
In Beijing alone from 2002 and 2011 statistics of lung cancer deaths doubled, while in the last three decades deaths from lung cancer jumped 465 per cent all across the country.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU