Uncensored: China’s Smog Haze Situation Claims Half A Million Lives Annually
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Until recently, news from China about its environmental concerns and problems were highly censored. But because it can no longer literally put a lid to control its spreading and unmanageable air pollution, China has admitted the smog haze situation in the country has already claimed thousands of lives.
In a commentary in Lancet published December 2013, Chen Zhu, China's Health minister, has finally and flatly given a number as to the death tally of the country's air pollution problem.
"Studies by the World Bank, WHO, and the Chinese Academy for Environmental Planning on the effect of air pollution on health concluded that between 350,000 and 500,000 people die prematurely each year as a result of outdoor air pollution in China," Mr Chen said in his commentary, which he co-wrote with Wang Jinnan, Ma Guoxia and Zhang Yanshen from the Ministry of Environmental Protection.
Until last year, Mr Chen was China's health minister.
At a time when the country's statistics on cigarette smoking is declining, deaths from air pollution was doing the opposite.
"When I see patients who are not smokers with no other risk factors, we have to assume that the most probable cause is pollution," Bai Chunxue from Shanghai's Zhongshan Hospital was quoted by Columbian News in December. Mr Bai is likewise chairman of the Shanghai Respiratory Research Institute.
Air pollution in China, according to Mr Chen, is now "the fourth biggest threat to the health of Chinese people" next to heart disease, dietary risk and smoking.
He also said China's leading cause of death is lung cancer.
In Beijing alone from 2002 and 2011 statistics of lung cancer deaths doubled, while in the last three decades deaths from lung cancer jumped 465 per cent all across the country.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage