Uncensored: China’s Smog Haze Situation Claims Half A Million Lives Annually
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Until recently, news from China about its environmental concerns and problems were highly censored. But because it can no longer literally put a lid to control its spreading and unmanageable air pollution, China has admitted the smog haze situation in the country has already claimed thousands of lives.
In a commentary in Lancet published December 2013, Chen Zhu, China's Health minister, has finally and flatly given a number as to the death tally of the country's air pollution problem.
"Studies by the World Bank, WHO, and the Chinese Academy for Environmental Planning on the effect of air pollution on health concluded that between 350,000 and 500,000 people die prematurely each year as a result of outdoor air pollution in China," Mr Chen said in his commentary, which he co-wrote with Wang Jinnan, Ma Guoxia and Zhang Yanshen from the Ministry of Environmental Protection.
Until last year, Mr Chen was China's health minister.
At a time when the country's statistics on cigarette smoking is declining, deaths from air pollution was doing the opposite.
"When I see patients who are not smokers with no other risk factors, we have to assume that the most probable cause is pollution," Bai Chunxue from Shanghai's Zhongshan Hospital was quoted by Columbian News in December. Mr Bai is likewise chairman of the Shanghai Respiratory Research Institute.
Air pollution in China, according to Mr Chen, is now "the fourth biggest threat to the health of Chinese people" next to heart disease, dietary risk and smoking.
He also said China's leading cause of death is lung cancer.
In Beijing alone from 2002 and 2011 statistics of lung cancer deaths doubled, while in the last three decades deaths from lung cancer jumped 465 per cent all across the country.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Billionaire Money Habits: 5 Financial Habits Practiced By The World's Richest People
- This Is The Lammily Doll With Freckles And Acne That Make It More Attractive Than Barbie
- Australia Ranks 11th In World Ultra Wealth Report As 175 Aussies Amass $440B In 2013
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More