Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, Movie And Special Tribute Video To Nelson Mandela
By ambika thakur | January 8, 2014 3:36 PM EST
In a special video which concurred the release of the biopic, "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom," prominent personalities across Britain paid tribute to Nelson Mandela.
Watch Nelson Mandela's funeral live (Photo: Reuters)
The movie was directed by Justin Chadwick with stars Idris Elba as Mandela and Naomie Harris as his wife Winnie. Based on a memoirs of the same title,"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" chronicles personal and notable political events in the life of anti-apartheid protagonist Nelson Mandela. The movie aptly portrays the life of the former South African President's life from his childhood, imprisonment and ultimate liberty.
In a short video, famous personalities like journalist Jon Snow to singer-lyricist Emeli Sande cited one of Mandela's most esteemed quotes: "No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
The quote was intermingled with poignant tributes to Mandela, including from his daughter Zindzi Mandela. She emotively said: "You have inspired me Madiba to find expression, to have confidence in myself, to fight for my beliefs, that it's better to die for what I believe in than to live for nothing, and for that I love you eternally."
"I think that it's a very good portrayal of the book, "Naturally, with a book like that, which encompasses several hundred pages, it's not easy to include everything about his life. But I think it was quite a fair portrayal. I was quite satisfied with it," told 84 year-old Ahmed Kathrada to Hollywood reporter.
Kathrada was one of Mandela's closest friends for 67 years until his demise Dec. 5, 2013. He has first-hand experience of the journey as depicted in the film as they struggled, challenged, and won their fight for equanimity and justice in South Africa.
Watch: Tributes to Mandela as Long Walk to Freedom is set to hit cinemas
You may also like to read more:
Nelson Mandela Chronicles: Countless Tweets Call Him a 'Terrorist' Read HERE
President Obama Speaks On Nelson Mandela: 'We Will Not Likely See The Likes Of Nelson Mandela Again' Read HERE
Nelson Mandela: What Made A Good Leader Great? Read HERE
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists