Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom, Movie And Special Tribute Video To Nelson Mandela
By ambika thakur | January 8, 2014 3:36 PM EST
In a special video which concurred the release of the biopic, "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom," prominent personalities across Britain paid tribute to Nelson Mandela.
Watch Nelson Mandela's funeral live (Photo: Reuters)
The movie was directed by Justin Chadwick with stars Idris Elba as Mandela and Naomie Harris as his wife Winnie. Based on a memoirs of the same title,"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" chronicles personal and notable political events in the life of anti-apartheid protagonist Nelson Mandela. The movie aptly portrays the life of the former South African President's life from his childhood, imprisonment and ultimate liberty.
In a short video, famous personalities like journalist Jon Snow to singer-lyricist Emeli Sande cited one of Mandela's most esteemed quotes: "No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
The quote was intermingled with poignant tributes to Mandela, including from his daughter Zindzi Mandela. She emotively said: "You have inspired me Madiba to find expression, to have confidence in myself, to fight for my beliefs, that it's better to die for what I believe in than to live for nothing, and for that I love you eternally."
"I think that it's a very good portrayal of the book, "Naturally, with a book like that, which encompasses several hundred pages, it's not easy to include everything about his life. But I think it was quite a fair portrayal. I was quite satisfied with it," told 84 year-old Ahmed Kathrada to Hollywood reporter.
Kathrada was one of Mandela's closest friends for 67 years until his demise Dec. 5, 2013. He has first-hand experience of the journey as depicted in the film as they struggled, challenged, and won their fight for equanimity and justice in South Africa.
Watch: Tributes to Mandela as Long Walk to Freedom is set to hit cinemas
You may also like to read more:
Nelson Mandela Chronicles: Countless Tweets Call Him a 'Terrorist' Read HERE
President Obama Speaks On Nelson Mandela: 'We Will Not Likely See The Likes Of Nelson Mandela Again' Read HERE
Nelson Mandela: What Made A Good Leader Great? Read HERE
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' Season 4 Spoilers: 'Litt Up' Consequences in Summer Finale; Cliffhanger Awaits, Says Series Creator [Watch Suits 4x10 Promo Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch