Gold Dips on Stronger Equities, U.S. Growth Hopes
January 8, 2014 2:44 PM EST
Gold eased for a second session on Wednesday as equities inched higher on optimism over U.S. economic growth, hurting bullion's safe-haven appeal.
People look at gold jewellery at a jewellery shop at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul on 5 December, 2013 (Reuters).
Spot gold had eased 0.3 percent to $1,227.74 an ounce by 0014 GMT, after snapping a five-day rally on Tuesday.
Prices were hurt by data showing the U.S. trade deficit fell to a four-year low in November as exports hit a record high and weak oil prices held down the import bill.
The report, the latest in a string of strengthening economic fundamentals, left economists anticipating a far stronger growth pace for the fourth-quarter than previously expected.
A strong economy and higher equities curb demand for gold which is seen as an alternative investment.
Two top Federal Reserve officials said they expected the U.S. central bank to reduce its stimulus at a steady pace, with the lone official to dissent against the Fed's decision to trim its bond buying saying he was comfortable with the approach.
Markets are awaiting the Wednesday release of the minutes of the December Fed meeting - when the bank decided to cut back its $85 billion in monthly bond purchases - to gauge the pace of the drawdown.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6