Android News: Wikipad Brings Android, Windows 8 Controller, Sony’s New In-Car System; Android-Powered Projector Unveiled
By Gel Galang | January 8, 2014 2:27 PM EST
Hardcore gamers who are looking for a way to play some games using their smartphones can now have the joy of analog sticks and d-pads with Wikipad's newest snap-on controller.
Venture Beat reports that Wikipad's device is reminiscent of any console controller, with two analog sticks, a d-pad, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons, and two more option buttons.
"We heard from many people who either expressed love for the Wikipad 7 or who already owned an iPad or an Android or Windows 8 mobile device and wanted us to make a controller that worked for them. We are currently working on versions for Windows 8 and Android devices," said Fraser Townley, president of Wikipad, to Venture Beat.
The good thing about the controller is that it's universal and can snap on several Android and Windows 7 devices. But you'll have to wait until Wikipad announces when exactly this will be making the headlines.
*More tech news: 2014 is brimming with new technology. See the list of trends here.
New projector hybrid rolls out from ZTE
Coming in from their line of smartphones, ZTE is now focused on its Projector Hotspot, which is a full HD projector that also serves as an LTE hotspot for up to eight different devices connected to it at the same time for 4G access.
It can display both video and images up to 3 meters high, and according to Phone Arena, it also packs Android 4.2 OS, HDMI-in, USB-A slots, and headset jack and audio output. The device has a 4-inch screen UI, but with low pixel density and resolution.
*There will be changes in the OS for Xbox One, but no dates yet. Read the details here.
This is a pretty good device for corporate settings, particularly for presentation meetings in cafes where you need access to the Internet. ZTE has not yet announced a price tag for the Projector Hotspot, but it does plan to release it in the U.S. by 2014.
In-car multimedia systems cradle for your Android smartphone
Sony brings more than just the cloud gaming service at the CES 2014, as it also unveils a new in-car media system meant for your mobile device.
Called the XSP-N1BT, this device is dubbed to be the first double-DIN smartphone cradle receiver. All you need to do is put your phone in it and adjust the slider so it's locked snugly in place.
It also features AppRemote interface so you can control the head-unit functions via Bluetoooth for Android and USB for iPhones.
"Consumers are now using their smartphones as a primary music source in the car, in addition to accessing key apps," said Andrew Sivori, VP of the Sound Division at Sony Electronics.
"Our new head units are designed to maximize smartphone capabilities while making control and operation more convenient on the road."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28