Spoon-feeding Babies Can Make Them Obese – Study
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 2:02 PM EST
A new study published in the journal Paediatric Obesity has stated that babies spoon fed by their parents or caretakers are more likely to become obese or overweight as they grow older.
This is because parents or caretakers usually don't have the slightest idea that the baby they are feeding has had enough.
Scientists said babies should be allowed to feed themselves in the weaning period, the time the little children start taking solid foods, with items they can pick with their little fingers.
Examining the eating habits of 298 babies, the study found infants fed using a baby-led approach were "significantly more" able to stop eating when they felt full.
"Our study indicates that taking a baby-led approach to weaning may reduce a baby's risk of being overweight as they are in control of their food intake," Dr Amy Brown from Swansea University said, noting parents who even offer pureed foods could actually create more harmful eating habits, leading to childhood obesity.
"This results in the baby being better able to control his or her appetite which could have a long-term impact upon weight gain and eating style that may continue into childhood."
She further stressed that allowing the child to regulate their own appetite, "not pressuring" them to eat more than they need, is a really important step in encouraging children to develop healthy eating patterns for life.
Moreover, Ms Brown said spoon-feeding results to picky eaters because of the dearth of choices given to them during mealtimes.
Baby-led babies are offered a range of whole foods which they pick up and eat themselves until they are full.
"All of these may promote appetite regulation and healthy weight gain trajectories."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales