Spoon-feeding Babies Can Make Them Obese – Study
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 2:02 PM EST
A new study published in the journal Paediatric Obesity has stated that babies spoon fed by their parents or caretakers are more likely to become obese or overweight as they grow older.
This is because parents or caretakers usually don't have the slightest idea that the baby they are feeding has had enough.
Scientists said babies should be allowed to feed themselves in the weaning period, the time the little children start taking solid foods, with items they can pick with their little fingers.
Examining the eating habits of 298 babies, the study found infants fed using a baby-led approach were "significantly more" able to stop eating when they felt full.
"Our study indicates that taking a baby-led approach to weaning may reduce a baby's risk of being overweight as they are in control of their food intake," Dr Amy Brown from Swansea University said, noting parents who even offer pureed foods could actually create more harmful eating habits, leading to childhood obesity.
"This results in the baby being better able to control his or her appetite which could have a long-term impact upon weight gain and eating style that may continue into childhood."
She further stressed that allowing the child to regulate their own appetite, "not pressuring" them to eat more than they need, is a really important step in encouraging children to develop healthy eating patterns for life.
Moreover, Ms Brown said spoon-feeding results to picky eaters because of the dearth of choices given to them during mealtimes.
Baby-led babies are offered a range of whole foods which they pick up and eat themselves until they are full.
"All of these may promote appetite regulation and healthy weight gain trajectories."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage