Spoon-feeding Babies Can Make Them Obese – Study
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 8, 2014 2:02 PM EST
A new study published in the journal Paediatric Obesity has stated that babies spoon fed by their parents or caretakers are more likely to become obese or overweight as they grow older.
This is because parents or caretakers usually don't have the slightest idea that the baby they are feeding has had enough.
Scientists said babies should be allowed to feed themselves in the weaning period, the time the little children start taking solid foods, with items they can pick with their little fingers.
Examining the eating habits of 298 babies, the study found infants fed using a baby-led approach were "significantly more" able to stop eating when they felt full.
"Our study indicates that taking a baby-led approach to weaning may reduce a baby's risk of being overweight as they are in control of their food intake," Dr Amy Brown from Swansea University said, noting parents who even offer pureed foods could actually create more harmful eating habits, leading to childhood obesity.
"This results in the baby being better able to control his or her appetite which could have a long-term impact upon weight gain and eating style that may continue into childhood."
She further stressed that allowing the child to regulate their own appetite, "not pressuring" them to eat more than they need, is a really important step in encouraging children to develop healthy eating patterns for life.
Moreover, Ms Brown said spoon-feeding results to picky eaters because of the dearth of choices given to them during mealtimes.
Baby-led babies are offered a range of whole foods which they pick up and eat themselves until they are full.
"All of these may promote appetite regulation and healthy weight gain trajectories."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop