Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 1/8/14
By Savanth Sebastian, CommSec Economist | January 8, 2014 10:55 AM EST
In US economic news, the US trade deficit narrowed by 12.9% to $34.3 billion - the smallest deficit in four years. Exports lifted by 0.9% to a record high $194.9 billion, largely driven by a record lift in petroleum exports. Imports fell by 1.4%.
An Obama backed bill to renew jobless benefits for 1.3 million Americans narrowly cleared the US Senate for consideration. The Senate may vote later this week on whether to approve the bill and send it to the Republican-led House of Representatives. If passed the bill would extend recently ended unemployment benefits for 3 months at the cost of $6 billion. Unless the bill is renewed a further 2 million Americans are expected to lose their benefits in the first six months of 2014.
European shares rallied on Tuesday to 5½-year highs as investors bet on a ongoing economic recovery in southern Europe. Spain´s IBEX rose by 2.9% supported by the Spanish banking sector. The FTSEurofirst 300 index rose by 0.9% with the UK FTSE up by 0.4% and the German Dax rose by 0.8%. Mining shares were mostly weaker with BHP Billiton shares flat in London trade while Rio Tinto fell by 1.6%.
US share markets rallied on Tuesday following the upbeat trade data. All 10 S&P500 sectors were higher, led by the healthcare index (up 1.2%) following broker upgrades. JP Morgan fell by 1.3% after confirming it would pay more than $2 billion in penalties to settle charges of suspicious activity involving the Madoff Ponzi scheme. At the close of trade, the Dow Jones was up by 106 points or 0.6% while the S&P 500 was up 0.6% and the Nasdaq rose by 40 points or 1%.
US treasury prices rose on Tuesday (yields lower) after Boston Fed President Rosengren, said the central bank will reduce stimulus ´´only gradually´´. US 2 year fell by 1 point to 0.39% while US 10 year yields fell by 2 points to 2.94%.
The US dollar lifted against major currencies on Tuesday on the back of the narrowing trade deficit. The Euro fell from highs around US$1.3650 to lows near US$1.3595 and was trading around US$1.3615 in afternoon US trade. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US89.40c to lows near US88.95c, and held near US89.15c in late US trade. And the Japanese yen fell from highs near 104.25 yen per US dollar to lows near JPY104.70 and was trading near 104.45 in afternoon US trade.
World oil prices lifted on Tuesday as fresh concerns about Libyan output and fighting in Iraq helped prices rebound after straight declines. Brent crude rose by US31c or 0.3% to US$107.43 a barrel while US Nymex crude rose by US24c or 0.3% to US$93.67 a barrel.
Base metal prices were mostly stronger on the London Metal Exchange on Tuesday, with the exception of Nickel (down 0.3%) and lead (down 0.4%). Gold futures fell for a second straight session on Tuesday. The Comex gold price fell by US$8.40 or 0.7% at US$1,229.60 per ounce. The iron ore price fell by US$1 to US$133.80 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia, no economic data is released. In the US, consumer credit and the FOMC minutes are released.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones