Shell to Sell 900 Petrol Stations, Geelong Refinery for $3 Billion to Consortium?
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2014 10:26 AM EST
Will Shell exit the petrol retail business? That is the speculation circulating in business circles amid talks that the oil and gas giant plans to sell its 900 petrol stations in Australia as well as the Geelong refinery.
The rumours named a consortium, allegedly led by a large investment bank for $3 billion, as a potential buyer.
Besides Shell, BP is said to be likewise planning a similar move for its 225 company-owned stations and its refineries in Queensland and Western Australia.
The two oil and gas giants are reportedly shifting their focus on exploration and production.
Royal Dutch Shell, the mother company of Shell Australia, is going ahead with drilling plans for gas in the Great South Basin offshore in New Zealand. The venture is in partnership with OMV of Austria and Mitsui of Japan.
Shell New Zealand, in a statement quoted by Invezz.com, confirmed the company's drilling activity in New Zealand, but Chairman Rob Jager is confident what they would find is natural gas, not oil.
However, Shell Australia and BP did not comment on the speculations. If Shell would divest itself of the petrol stations, the move would affect retail giant Coles which leases 630 such stations, running them under a Shell-Coles Express banner.
Shell has actually been searching for a buyer for the Geelong refinery since April 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft