Shell to Sell 900 Petrol Stations, Geelong Refinery for $3 Billion to Consortium?
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2014 10:26 AM EST
Will Shell exit the petrol retail business? That is the speculation circulating in business circles amid talks that the oil and gas giant plans to sell its 900 petrol stations in Australia as well as the Geelong refinery.
The rumours named a consortium, allegedly led by a large investment bank for $3 billion, as a potential buyer.
Besides Shell, BP is said to be likewise planning a similar move for its 225 company-owned stations and its refineries in Queensland and Western Australia.
The two oil and gas giants are reportedly shifting their focus on exploration and production.
Royal Dutch Shell, the mother company of Shell Australia, is going ahead with drilling plans for gas in the Great South Basin offshore in New Zealand. The venture is in partnership with OMV of Austria and Mitsui of Japan.
Shell New Zealand, in a statement quoted by Invezz.com, confirmed the company's drilling activity in New Zealand, but Chairman Rob Jager is confident what they would find is natural gas, not oil.
However, Shell Australia and BP did not comment on the speculations. If Shell would divest itself of the petrol stations, the move would affect retail giant Coles which leases 630 such stations, running them under a Shell-Coles Express banner.
Shell has actually been searching for a buyer for the Geelong refinery since April 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 19, 2014
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1