Shell to Sell 900 Petrol Stations, Geelong Refinery for $3 Billion to Consortium?
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 8, 2014 10:26 AM EST
Will Shell exit the petrol retail business? That is the speculation circulating in business circles amid talks that the oil and gas giant plans to sell its 900 petrol stations in Australia as well as the Geelong refinery.
The rumours named a consortium, allegedly led by a large investment bank for $3 billion, as a potential buyer.
Besides Shell, BP is said to be likewise planning a similar move for its 225 company-owned stations and its refineries in Queensland and Western Australia.
The two oil and gas giants are reportedly shifting their focus on exploration and production.
Royal Dutch Shell, the mother company of Shell Australia, is going ahead with drilling plans for gas in the Great South Basin offshore in New Zealand. The venture is in partnership with OMV of Austria and Mitsui of Japan.
Shell New Zealand, in a statement quoted by Invezz.com, confirmed the company's drilling activity in New Zealand, but Chairman Rob Jager is confident what they would find is natural gas, not oil.
However, Shell Australia and BP did not comment on the speculations. If Shell would divest itself of the petrol stations, the move would affect retail giant Coles which leases 630 such stations, running them under a Shell-Coles Express banner.
Shell has actually been searching for a buyer for the Geelong refinery since April 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones