Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2 Review: Watch the Best Man's Speech; Best Lines and Funny Quotes in 'The Sign of Three' [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 8, 2014 2:31 AM EST
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2, aka "The Sign of Three" focuses on the depth and complexity of the friendship between Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and John Watson (Martin Freeman). Sherlock's best man's speech brings to life the first half of the episode.
Spoiler alert: This review contains spoilers on Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, aka The Sign of Three. This is focused on the best man's speech, the best quotes, and how Sherlock Holmes made John Watson tear up in his wedding.
A lot of credit should go to Benedict Cumberbatch for the unexpected beauty of Sherlock Holmes' best man's speech. Season 3, Episode 2 writer Stephen Thompson unravelled Sherlock as a friend for the TV viewers in a way that humanizes the brilliant detective, who says, "I never expected to be anybody's best friend."
In Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, platonic love rules. Sherlock says, "John, I am a ridiculous man, redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship." The bromance might have been too indulgent, but things turn out fine overall.
Mary Morstan (Amanda Abbington) gets Sherlock. And perhaps that's why he likes her, too. "Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable," says Sherlock.
And now here's the part that made John Watson tear up in his wedding. John asks Mary to stop the waterworks if it ever starts, to which his bride replies, "Certainly not." Real life partners Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington have yet to marry, but they certainly look good together in their wedding attires.
"I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that," Sherlock goes on. Watson is having a difficult time holding the sobs in.
The full transcript of Sherlock Holmes' wedding speech is a masterful slice of art. Read it here. It is both high brow and cheesy; pragmatic and emotional. It is Sherlock Holmes on his best friend's wedding, TV version -- possibly the best it can be.
Mycroft Holmes (Mark Gatiss) warns Sherlock against getting involved. Sherlock says he isn't. But then Sherlock has also told Mary he knows nothing about human nature.
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2 Best Bits
Watson calls Sherlock a drama queen.
Sherlock profiles the wedding guests, informing Mary of the family members who actually, secretly detest her.
In his best man's speech, Sherlock Holmes tells the guests that John is a survivor of war, tragedies, and losses. He quickly inserts an apology for the last time Watson "lost and buried" a friend.
Sherlock reveals he likes to dance!
Sherlock deduces that Mary is pregnant. The newlyweds panic, but Sherlock tells them they've been on parental training, with him as the baby among them three.
Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2: Funny Quotes, Lines to Remember in 'Sign of Three'
"(John Watson) has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me." -Sherlock
"I'm not John, I can tell when you're fibbing." - Mary
"I'm faking opinions, and it's exhausting!" - John
"Your mother has a lot to answer for." - Mrs Hudson
WATCH: Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, 'The Sign of Three' Promo (BBC Trailer on YouTube)
Related TV Guide, Spoilers and Features
'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere Review: Watch Sherlock Holmes' New Nemesis, Benedict Cumberbatch Parents in 'The Empty Hearse' [SPOILERS]
'The Mentalist' Season 6, Episode 11 Spoilers: Watch Patrick Jane, Teresa Lisbon Start Anew; Bad News for Jisbon Shippers? [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report