Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2 Review: Watch the Best Man's Speech; Best Lines and Funny Quotes in 'The Sign of Three' [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 8, 2014 2:31 AM EST
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2, aka "The Sign of Three" focuses on the depth and complexity of the friendship between Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and John Watson (Martin Freeman). Sherlock's best man's speech brings to life the first half of the episode.
Spoiler alert: This review contains spoilers on Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, aka The Sign of Three. This is focused on the best man's speech, the best quotes, and how Sherlock Holmes made John Watson tear up in his wedding.
A lot of credit should go to Benedict Cumberbatch for the unexpected beauty of Sherlock Holmes' best man's speech. Season 3, Episode 2 writer Stephen Thompson unravelled Sherlock as a friend for the TV viewers in a way that humanizes the brilliant detective, who says, "I never expected to be anybody's best friend."
In Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, platonic love rules. Sherlock says, "John, I am a ridiculous man, redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship." The bromance might have been too indulgent, but things turn out fine overall.
Mary Morstan (Amanda Abbington) gets Sherlock. And perhaps that's why he likes her, too. "Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable," says Sherlock.
And now here's the part that made John Watson tear up in his wedding. John asks Mary to stop the waterworks if it ever starts, to which his bride replies, "Certainly not." Real life partners Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington have yet to marry, but they certainly look good together in their wedding attires.
"I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that," Sherlock goes on. Watson is having a difficult time holding the sobs in.
The full transcript of Sherlock Holmes' wedding speech is a masterful slice of art. Read it here. It is both high brow and cheesy; pragmatic and emotional. It is Sherlock Holmes on his best friend's wedding, TV version -- possibly the best it can be.
Mycroft Holmes (Mark Gatiss) warns Sherlock against getting involved. Sherlock says he isn't. But then Sherlock has also told Mary he knows nothing about human nature.
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2 Best Bits
Watson calls Sherlock a drama queen.
Sherlock profiles the wedding guests, informing Mary of the family members who actually, secretly detest her.
In his best man's speech, Sherlock Holmes tells the guests that John is a survivor of war, tragedies, and losses. He quickly inserts an apology for the last time Watson "lost and buried" a friend.
Sherlock reveals he likes to dance!
Sherlock deduces that Mary is pregnant. The newlyweds panic, but Sherlock tells them they've been on parental training, with him as the baby among them three.
Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2: Funny Quotes, Lines to Remember in 'Sign of Three'
"(John Watson) has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me." -Sherlock
"I'm not John, I can tell when you're fibbing." - Mary
"I'm faking opinions, and it's exhausting!" - John
"Your mother has a lot to answer for." - Mrs Hudson
WATCH: Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, 'The Sign of Three' Promo (BBC Trailer on YouTube)
Related TV Guide, Spoilers and Features
'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere Review: Watch Sherlock Holmes' New Nemesis, Benedict Cumberbatch Parents in 'The Empty Hearse' [SPOILERS]
'The Mentalist' Season 6, Episode 11 Spoilers: Watch Patrick Jane, Teresa Lisbon Start Anew; Bad News for Jisbon Shippers? [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate