Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2 Review: Watch the Best Man's Speech; Best Lines and Funny Quotes in 'The Sign of Three' [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 8, 2014 2:31 AM EST
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2, aka "The Sign of Three" focuses on the depth and complexity of the friendship between Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and John Watson (Martin Freeman). Sherlock's best man's speech brings to life the first half of the episode.
Spoiler alert: This review contains spoilers on Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, aka The Sign of Three. This is focused on the best man's speech, the best quotes, and how Sherlock Holmes made John Watson tear up in his wedding.
A lot of credit should go to Benedict Cumberbatch for the unexpected beauty of Sherlock Holmes' best man's speech. Season 3, Episode 2 writer Stephen Thompson unravelled Sherlock as a friend for the TV viewers in a way that humanizes the brilliant detective, who says, "I never expected to be anybody's best friend."
In Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, platonic love rules. Sherlock says, "John, I am a ridiculous man, redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship." The bromance might have been too indulgent, but things turn out fine overall.
Mary Morstan (Amanda Abbington) gets Sherlock. And perhaps that's why he likes her, too. "Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable," says Sherlock.
And now here's the part that made John Watson tear up in his wedding. John asks Mary to stop the waterworks if it ever starts, to which his bride replies, "Certainly not." Real life partners Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington have yet to marry, but they certainly look good together in their wedding attires.
"I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that," Sherlock goes on. Watson is having a difficult time holding the sobs in.
The full transcript of Sherlock Holmes' wedding speech is a masterful slice of art. Read it here. It is both high brow and cheesy; pragmatic and emotional. It is Sherlock Holmes on his best friend's wedding, TV version -- possibly the best it can be.
Mycroft Holmes (Mark Gatiss) warns Sherlock against getting involved. Sherlock says he isn't. But then Sherlock has also told Mary he knows nothing about human nature.
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2 Best Bits
Watson calls Sherlock a drama queen.
Sherlock profiles the wedding guests, informing Mary of the family members who actually, secretly detest her.
In his best man's speech, Sherlock Holmes tells the guests that John is a survivor of war, tragedies, and losses. He quickly inserts an apology for the last time Watson "lost and buried" a friend.
Sherlock reveals he likes to dance!
Sherlock deduces that Mary is pregnant. The newlyweds panic, but Sherlock tells them they've been on parental training, with him as the baby among them three.
Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2: Funny Quotes, Lines to Remember in 'Sign of Three'
"(John Watson) has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me." -Sherlock
"I'm not John, I can tell when you're fibbing." - Mary
"I'm faking opinions, and it's exhausting!" - John
"Your mother has a lot to answer for." - Mrs Hudson
WATCH: Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, 'The Sign of Three' Promo (BBC Trailer on YouTube)
Related TV Guide, Spoilers and Features
'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere Review: Watch Sherlock Holmes' New Nemesis, Benedict Cumberbatch Parents in 'The Empty Hearse' [SPOILERS]
'The Mentalist' Season 6, Episode 11 Spoilers: Watch Patrick Jane, Teresa Lisbon Start Anew; Bad News for Jisbon Shippers? [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet