Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2 Review: Watch the Best Man's Speech; Best Lines and Funny Quotes in 'The Sign of Three' [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 8, 2014 2:31 AM EST
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2, aka "The Sign of Three" focuses on the depth and complexity of the friendship between Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and John Watson (Martin Freeman). Sherlock's best man's speech brings to life the first half of the episode.
Spoiler alert: This review contains spoilers on Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, aka The Sign of Three. This is focused on the best man's speech, the best quotes, and how Sherlock Holmes made John Watson tear up in his wedding.
A lot of credit should go to Benedict Cumberbatch for the unexpected beauty of Sherlock Holmes' best man's speech. Season 3, Episode 2 writer Stephen Thompson unravelled Sherlock as a friend for the TV viewers in a way that humanizes the brilliant detective, who says, "I never expected to be anybody's best friend."
In Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, platonic love rules. Sherlock says, "John, I am a ridiculous man, redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship." The bromance might have been too indulgent, but things turn out fine overall.
Mary Morstan (Amanda Abbington) gets Sherlock. And perhaps that's why he likes her, too. "Mary, when I say you deserve this man, it is the highest compliment of which I am capable," says Sherlock.
And now here's the part that made John Watson tear up in his wedding. John asks Mary to stop the waterworks if it ever starts, to which his bride replies, "Certainly not." Real life partners Martin Freeman and Amanda Abbington have yet to marry, but they certainly look good together in their wedding attires.
"I know I speak for Mary as well when I say we will never let you down, and we have a lifetime ahead to prove that," Sherlock goes on. Watson is having a difficult time holding the sobs in.
The full transcript of Sherlock Holmes' wedding speech is a masterful slice of art. Read it here. It is both high brow and cheesy; pragmatic and emotional. It is Sherlock Holmes on his best friend's wedding, TV version -- possibly the best it can be.
Mycroft Holmes (Mark Gatiss) warns Sherlock against getting involved. Sherlock says he isn't. But then Sherlock has also told Mary he knows nothing about human nature.
"Sherlock" Season 3, Episode 2 Best Bits
Watson calls Sherlock a drama queen.
Sherlock profiles the wedding guests, informing Mary of the family members who actually, secretly detest her.
In his best man's speech, Sherlock Holmes tells the guests that John is a survivor of war, tragedies, and losses. He quickly inserts an apology for the last time Watson "lost and buried" a friend.
Sherlock reveals he likes to dance!
Sherlock deduces that Mary is pregnant. The newlyweds panic, but Sherlock tells them they've been on parental training, with him as the baby among them three.
Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2: Funny Quotes, Lines to Remember in 'Sign of Three'
"(John Watson) has many fine qualities of his own that he has overlooked in his obsession with me." -Sherlock
"I'm not John, I can tell when you're fibbing." - Mary
"I'm faking opinions, and it's exhausting!" - John
"Your mother has a lot to answer for." - Mrs Hudson
WATCH: Sherlock Season 3, Episode 2, 'The Sign of Three' Promo (BBC Trailer on YouTube)
Related TV Guide, Spoilers and Features
'Sherlock' Season 3 Premiere Review: Watch Sherlock Holmes' New Nemesis, Benedict Cumberbatch Parents in 'The Empty Hearse' [SPOILERS]
'The Mentalist' Season 6, Episode 11 Spoilers: Watch Patrick Jane, Teresa Lisbon Start Anew; Bad News for Jisbon Shippers? [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’