NBA Free Agency News: Los Angeles Clippers Interested in Turkoglu, Vujacic
By James Patrick Quizon | January 8, 2014 1:27 AM EST
With their star point guard Chris Paul out four to six weeks because of a shoulder injury, the Los Angeles Clipper are looking hard at the free agents list hoping to acquire a player or two that can help hold the fort while their leader is out.
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers at Orlando Magic
Two names that are cropping up are veterans Sasha Vujacic and Hedo Turkoglu according to ESPN.COM.
The 29-year-old Vujajic is a 6-foot-7 guard from Slovenia and has last seen action for the New Jersey Nets in the 2010-2011 season for 56 games averaging 11.4 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists—all career-highs. He played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2004 to 2011 and has career averages of 5.6 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game.
Meanwhile, Turkoglu is a 34-year-old tweener forward who has played 13 years in the NBA. The 6-foot-8 player from Turkey started his career with the Sacramento Kings in 2000 and played there for three year before suiting up for the San Antonio Spurs, Orlando Magic, Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns. Turkoglu has career averages of 11.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
Vujajic has reportedly been active with basketball workouts in the L.A. area after playing in internationally while Turkoglu was recently cut by Orlando and has cleared waivers, which means he’s now an unrestricted free agent and any NBA team can sign him outright.
Clippers head coach Doc Rivers confirmed the interest.
“I just like him. He’s out there and we should look at him. I’ve always liked him. He can shoot and play [small forward and power forward],” said Rivers about the Turkish veteran in an interview with ESPN.COM
If signed, both are expected to get immediate playing time especially Vujajic because of the CP3 injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report