NBA Free Agency News: Los Angeles Clippers Interested in Turkoglu, Vujacic
By James Patrick Quizon | January 8, 2014 1:27 AM EST
With their star point guard Chris Paul out four to six weeks because of a shoulder injury, the Los Angeles Clipper are looking hard at the free agents list hoping to acquire a player or two that can help hold the fort while their leader is out.
NBA: Los Angeles Clippers at Orlando Magic
Two names that are cropping up are veterans Sasha Vujacic and Hedo Turkoglu according to ESPN.COM.
The 29-year-old Vujajic is a 6-foot-7 guard from Slovenia and has last seen action for the New Jersey Nets in the 2010-2011 season for 56 games averaging 11.4 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists—all career-highs. He played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2004 to 2011 and has career averages of 5.6 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game.
Meanwhile, Turkoglu is a 34-year-old tweener forward who has played 13 years in the NBA. The 6-foot-8 player from Turkey started his career with the Sacramento Kings in 2000 and played there for three year before suiting up for the San Antonio Spurs, Orlando Magic, Toronto Raptors and Phoenix Suns. Turkoglu has career averages of 11.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists.
Vujajic has reportedly been active with basketball workouts in the L.A. area after playing in internationally while Turkoglu was recently cut by Orlando and has cleared waivers, which means he’s now an unrestricted free agent and any NBA team can sign him outright.
Clippers head coach Doc Rivers confirmed the interest.
“I just like him. He’s out there and we should look at him. I’ve always liked him. He can shoot and play [small forward and power forward],” said Rivers about the Turkish veteran in an interview with ESPN.COM
If signed, both are expected to get immediate playing time especially Vujajic because of the CP3 injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June