Microsoft’s Xbox One Sales Touch 3 Million in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 7, 2014 8:08 PM EST
Microsoft initially faced numerous problems with the launch of its next-generation video game console, Xbox One. The console garnered quite some controversy when it was publicly unveiled at E3 2013, because of its always online policies that had to be done away with due to pressure from the fans.
Xbox One sold over 3 million units in 2013.
Nintendo Title Bravely Default Modulates Scantily Dressed Characters for Western Release, Demo for U.S. Released [VIDEO]
After its release on 22 November, 2013, the console faced several technical issues and fixes were sent out at regular intervals. However, despite all these problems, the company has declared that it sold more than 3 million units in 13 countries before 2013 end.
The company in a blog post thanked all its fans and gamers and labeled 2013 as "an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox." It added that 2013 was "truly epic" for Xbox One.
"Together, we ushered in a new era of games and entertainment with Xbox One. Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013. It's been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, Strategy and Business at Xbox in the blogpost.
He also added that there has been a strong demand for Xbox One ever since the console was launched. He further says that fan's reactions bowled the team over and says they are inspiring for the team.
Regarding the question of Xbox One being an "all-in-one entertainment system," he said that people have watched "millions of hours of live TV" and enjoyed "millions of hours of app entertainment."
Mehdi promised that 2014 will be a hopeful year and outlined the games that will be releasing on Xbox One:
- Watch Dogs
- Project Spark
- Sunset Overdrive
- Tom Clancy's The Division
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
- The Elder Scrolls Online
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One And PS Vita Updates From Devs, Microsoft CEO Talks About The Buyout
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best