Microsoft’s Xbox One Sales Touch 3 Million in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 7, 2014 8:08 PM EST
Microsoft initially faced numerous problems with the launch of its next-generation video game console, Xbox One. The console garnered quite some controversy when it was publicly unveiled at E3 2013, because of its always online policies that had to be done away with due to pressure from the fans.
Xbox One sold over 3 million units in 2013.
After its release on 22 November, 2013, the console faced several technical issues and fixes were sent out at regular intervals. However, despite all these problems, the company has declared that it sold more than 3 million units in 13 countries before 2013 end.
The company in a blog post thanked all its fans and gamers and labeled 2013 as "an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox." It added that 2013 was "truly epic" for Xbox One.
"Together, we ushered in a new era of games and entertainment with Xbox One. Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013. It's been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, Strategy and Business at Xbox in the blogpost.
He also added that there has been a strong demand for Xbox One ever since the console was launched. He further says that fan's reactions bowled the team over and says they are inspiring for the team.
Regarding the question of Xbox One being an "all-in-one entertainment system," he said that people have watched "millions of hours of live TV" and enjoyed "millions of hours of app entertainment."
Mehdi promised that 2014 will be a hopeful year and outlined the games that will be releasing on Xbox One:
- Watch Dogs
- Project Spark
- Sunset Overdrive
- Tom Clancy's The Division
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
- The Elder Scrolls Online
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Skype Gets A New Exclusive Feature On The Windows Phone
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]