Microsoft’s Xbox One Sales Touch 3 Million in 2013
By Aditya Bhat | January 7, 2014 8:08 PM EST
Microsoft initially faced numerous problems with the launch of its next-generation video game console, Xbox One. The console garnered quite some controversy when it was publicly unveiled at E3 2013, because of its always online policies that had to be done away with due to pressure from the fans.
Xbox One sold over 3 million units in 2013.
After its release on 22 November, 2013, the console faced several technical issues and fixes were sent out at regular intervals. However, despite all these problems, the company has declared that it sold more than 3 million units in 13 countries before 2013 end.
The company in a blog post thanked all its fans and gamers and labeled 2013 as "an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox." It added that 2013 was "truly epic" for Xbox One.
"Together, we ushered in a new era of games and entertainment with Xbox One. Over 3 million Xbox One consoles were sold to consumers in 13 countries before the end of 2013. It's been incredible to see Xbox One selling at a record-setting pace for Xbox, and we were honored to see Xbox One become the fastest-selling console in the U.S. during our launch month in November," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, Strategy and Business at Xbox in the blogpost.
He also added that there has been a strong demand for Xbox One ever since the console was launched. He further says that fan's reactions bowled the team over and says they are inspiring for the team.
Regarding the question of Xbox One being an "all-in-one entertainment system," he said that people have watched "millions of hours of live TV" and enjoyed "millions of hours of app entertainment."
Mehdi promised that 2014 will be a hopeful year and outlined the games that will be releasing on Xbox One:
- Watch Dogs
- Project Spark
- Sunset Overdrive
- Tom Clancy's The Division
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
- The Elder Scrolls Online
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies