Metal Gear Solid 5: Sexual Violence, Strong Language Push ESRB to Rate Game 'Mature'
By Aditya Bhat | January 7, 2014 7:40 PM EST
The upcoming action-adventure video game Metal Gear Solid 5, from developer Kojima, has been given an 'M' rating - indicating 'Mature' - by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB). This, according to the organisation, was due to the in-game content that has sexual and intense violence, strong language, blood and gore.
Facebook/Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 5 has been rated Mature.
Nintendo Title Bravely Default Modulates Scantily Dressed Characters for Western Release, Demo for U.S. Released [VIDEO]
The game has created immense excitement among fans for its abundance of realism in both gameplay and cutscenes. The studio has tried to keep the game as realistic as possible with most of the cutscenes and gameplay, showcasing gore during fights between characters.
"This is an action game in which players assume the role of an elite soldier through military missions in Cuba. Players infiltrate various bases and use pistols, machine guns, and rocket launchers to kill enemy soldiers. Firefights are highlighted by realistic gunfire, slow-motion effects, and large blood-splatter effects. Players can also employ stealth attacks (e.g., choking, knife stabbing from behind) and have the ability kill non-adversary characters/prisoners," the ratings summary reads.
It further elaborates on the usage of strong words and also sexual content like the one below where a female character is being assaulted sexually via a audio file, "One cutscene includes a depiction of blood and gore (e.g., a character's intestines exposed during a dramatic procedure to remove an object). The game includes an audio file in which a female character is sexually assaulted by male characters; while there is no visual depiction, sounds of ripped clothing and struggle can be heard. The words "f**k" and "sh*t" are heard in the dialogue."
There have been only a very few games which have been categorized under sexual violence, with the last being 2006's Animamundi.
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is expected to be released 18 March in North America and 20 March in Europe for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One platforms. This will be followed by a bigger game - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain that is planned for release by 2014 end.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Disappointing In-Game Factors And Pixelated Downloadable Pirated Copies
- ‘Minecraft’ Buyout By Microsoft Complete as Mojang's Notch Says His Farewell
- How to Check Pre-Order Status of Your Apple iPhone 6 Models: Check Order Status Here
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect