Apple Inc Pledges More Women, Minorities in Board; Q1 FY2014 Conference Earnings Call on Jan. 27
By Reissa Su | January 7, 2014 7:28 PM EST
Apple Inc has vowed to hire more women as executives and consider people from minority groups as board candidates. Although the company has not made an official statement on the matter, Apple has decided to change its bylaws to allow more diversity in its board of directors.
A display shows a new Apple iPad Air tablet inside the Apple Store on New York's fifth avenue, after the new iPad went on sale, November 1, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Segar
According to Bloomberg, Apple has added new language to committee chargers after some shareholders pressured the company to diversify the board. Sustainability Group and Trillium Asset Management expressed disappointment and pointed out that Apple Inc had only one female board member, former Avon CEO Andrea Jung.
In Apple's executive team, former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts is the only female executive. Bloomberg also reported that representatives from the two Apple shareholders have met with Apple's representatives to discuss the issue before the company shareholder meeting in Feb. The shareholders eased the pressure after Apple changed the words to include women and minorities as part of the board.
Apple's conference earnings call on Jan. 27
Meanwhile, Apple Inc has announced it will reveal its sales figures from the first fiscal quarter of 2014 on Jan. 27. The company will also have an earnings conference call to discuss Apple's sales performance during the holiday season. More accurate sales figures of the iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display are also expected.
Apple CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer will be around to answer questions in the conference call. The company usually makes the conference call available on live-streaming on its Investor Web site.
Rival Samsung Electronics has recently revealed its profits went down 6 per cent as smart phone competition intensifies. According to a report by the Associated Press in Seoul, the Korean electronics giant said in a profit preview that its operating profit was estimated at US$7.8 billion for the last three months of 2013.
Despite the drop in profits, Samsung's sales rose by 5 per cent from Oct. to Dec. 2012. According to analysts, the company's Galaxy smart phones and Galaxy Gear smart watches were not as profitable as thought because of high marketing costs.
Samsung will also face stiffer competition in China as Apple Inc begins selling iPhones via China Mobile, the world's largest mobile carrier. Apple's entry could be a threat to Samsung's growth in the Chinese market.
Samsung will reveal more details of its earnings later in Jan based on AP reports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown