Four Policemen Injured in Jammu & Kashmir Militant Encounter
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
At least four police officials have been injured in an encounter with militants in the area of Sopore, located 40 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.
An Indian army soldier displays a seized rocket propelled grenades launcher (RPGL) during a news conference inside a military garrison in Srinagar April 25, 2009.
According to NDTV, the policemen were countering the firing by two or three militants who are believed to have holed-up in a house in the Chankhan village of Sopore.
More teams of the security forces have been rushed to the spot to tackle the cross-firing, which is still going on, and give some medical assitance to the injured.
While three of the four cops have splinter injuries due to the grenade lobbed by the militants, one received a gunshot wound.
It was last on 2 December when a J&K policeman was killed and two others injured after militants opened fire at a police patrol party in Chadoora in Budgam district. No militant was arrested as they managed to escape. Moreover, no militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Firstpost report, militant or terror attacks in J&K had numbered down drastically in 2013. There was a rise in collateral damage to militant forces and a dip in number of clashes between them and the security personnel.
However, there was still an increase in number of armed personnel and civilian deaths. While in 2011 and 2012, 47 security officials were killed in militant attacks, in 2013 terrorists caused deaths of 61 soldiers and 15 civilians.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James