Four Policemen Injured in Jammu & Kashmir Militant Encounter
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
At least four police officials have been injured in an encounter with militants in the area of Sopore, located 40 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.
An Indian army soldier displays a seized rocket propelled grenades launcher (RPGL) during a news conference inside a military garrison in Srinagar April 25, 2009.
According to NDTV, the policemen were countering the firing by two or three militants who are believed to have holed-up in a house in the Chankhan village of Sopore.
More teams of the security forces have been rushed to the spot to tackle the cross-firing, which is still going on, and give some medical assitance to the injured.
While three of the four cops have splinter injuries due to the grenade lobbed by the militants, one received a gunshot wound.
It was last on 2 December when a J&K policeman was killed and two others injured after militants opened fire at a police patrol party in Chadoora in Budgam district. No militant was arrested as they managed to escape. Moreover, no militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Firstpost report, militant or terror attacks in J&K had numbered down drastically in 2013. There was a rise in collateral damage to militant forces and a dip in number of clashes between them and the security personnel.
However, there was still an increase in number of armed personnel and civilian deaths. While in 2011 and 2012, 47 security officials were killed in militant attacks, in 2013 terrorists caused deaths of 61 soldiers and 15 civilians.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown