Four Policemen Injured in Jammu & Kashmir Militant Encounter
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
At least four police officials have been injured in an encounter with militants in the area of Sopore, located 40 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.
An Indian army soldier displays a seized rocket propelled grenades launcher (RPGL) during a news conference inside a military garrison in Srinagar April 25, 2009.
According to NDTV, the policemen were countering the firing by two or three militants who are believed to have holed-up in a house in the Chankhan village of Sopore.
More teams of the security forces have been rushed to the spot to tackle the cross-firing, which is still going on, and give some medical assitance to the injured.
While three of the four cops have splinter injuries due to the grenade lobbed by the militants, one received a gunshot wound.
It was last on 2 December when a J&K policeman was killed and two others injured after militants opened fire at a police patrol party in Chadoora in Budgam district. No militant was arrested as they managed to escape. Moreover, no militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Firstpost report, militant or terror attacks in J&K had numbered down drastically in 2013. There was a rise in collateral damage to militant forces and a dip in number of clashes between them and the security personnel.
However, there was still an increase in number of armed personnel and civilian deaths. While in 2011 and 2012, 47 security officials were killed in militant attacks, in 2013 terrorists caused deaths of 61 soldiers and 15 civilians.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build