Four Policemen Injured in Jammu & Kashmir Militant Encounter
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
At least four police officials have been injured in an encounter with militants in the area of Sopore, located 40 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.
An Indian army soldier displays a seized rocket propelled grenades launcher (RPGL) during a news conference inside a military garrison in Srinagar April 25, 2009.
According to NDTV, the policemen were countering the firing by two or three militants who are believed to have holed-up in a house in the Chankhan village of Sopore.
More teams of the security forces have been rushed to the spot to tackle the cross-firing, which is still going on, and give some medical assitance to the injured.
While three of the four cops have splinter injuries due to the grenade lobbed by the militants, one received a gunshot wound.
It was last on 2 December when a J&K policeman was killed and two others injured after militants opened fire at a police patrol party in Chadoora in Budgam district. No militant was arrested as they managed to escape. Moreover, no militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Firstpost report, militant or terror attacks in J&K had numbered down drastically in 2013. There was a rise in collateral damage to militant forces and a dip in number of clashes between them and the security personnel.
However, there was still an increase in number of armed personnel and civilian deaths. While in 2011 and 2012, 47 security officials were killed in militant attacks, in 2013 terrorists caused deaths of 61 soldiers and 15 civilians.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date