Four Policemen Injured in Jammu & Kashmir Militant Encounter
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 6:00 PM EST
At least four police officials have been injured in an encounter with militants in the area of Sopore, located 40 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir capital Srinagar.
An Indian army soldier displays a seized rocket propelled grenades launcher (RPGL) during a news conference inside a military garrison in Srinagar April 25, 2009.
According to NDTV, the policemen were countering the firing by two or three militants who are believed to have holed-up in a house in the Chankhan village of Sopore.
More teams of the security forces have been rushed to the spot to tackle the cross-firing, which is still going on, and give some medical assitance to the injured.
While three of the four cops have splinter injuries due to the grenade lobbed by the militants, one received a gunshot wound.
It was last on 2 December when a J&K policeman was killed and two others injured after militants opened fire at a police patrol party in Chadoora in Budgam district. No militant was arrested as they managed to escape. Moreover, no militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack.
According to Firstpost report, militant or terror attacks in J&K had numbered down drastically in 2013. There was a rise in collateral damage to militant forces and a dip in number of clashes between them and the security personnel.
However, there was still an increase in number of armed personnel and civilian deaths. While in 2011 and 2012, 47 security officials were killed in militant attacks, in 2013 terrorists caused deaths of 61 soldiers and 15 civilians.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM