Breaking News – Actual NBA Trade: Luol Deng to Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum Plus 3 Picks to Chicago Bulls
By James Patrick Quizon | January 7, 2014 5:40 PM EST
Luol Deng's time with the Chicago Bulls is over-- a sign that Chicago is joining teams in tank mode this season.
According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.COM the Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired small forward rom the Bulls in a deal agreed upon by both teams late Monday. The Bulls will be receiving Andrew Bynum and future picks from Cleveland.
NBA: Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls
The Cavs will send Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Bulls for Luol Deng.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
Bulls did well with picks, will get a 1st rounder the Cavs own from Sacramento, limited 1st swap rights from Cavs in 15, 2 2nd round picks. — Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
It sort of a coup for the reeling Bulls who most likely outbid the Los Angeles Lakers—offering Pau Gasol and the Utah Jazz—offering Richard Jefferson, both of which were also interested in saving money off the Bynum semi-guaranteed contract.
It appears to be a win-win trade for both squads.
The Cavs now have a legit small forward—albeit on a rental as Deng’s contract expires after this season— to pair with Kyrie Irving, who wants to make a playoff run with this season. Deng averaged 19.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 23 games for the Bulls this season.
Bynum is expected to be waived by the Bulls, which will save about $15M and go under the luxury tax, plus they gain assets in form of the future picks. With Derrick Rose injured, it also appears that the Chicago front office have chosen to give up on the season rather than make the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change