Breaking News – Actual NBA Trade: Luol Deng to Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum Plus 3 Picks to Chicago Bulls
By James Patrick Quizon | January 7, 2014 5:40 PM EST
Luol Deng's time with the Chicago Bulls is over-- a sign that Chicago is joining teams in tank mode this season.
According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.COM the Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired small forward rom the Bulls in a deal agreed upon by both teams late Monday. The Bulls will be receiving Andrew Bynum and future picks from Cleveland.
NBA: Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls
The Cavs will send Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Bulls for Luol Deng.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
Bulls did well with picks, will get a 1st rounder the Cavs own from Sacramento, limited 1st swap rights from Cavs in 15, 2 2nd round picks. — Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
It sort of a coup for the reeling Bulls who most likely outbid the Los Angeles Lakers—offering Pau Gasol and the Utah Jazz—offering Richard Jefferson, both of which were also interested in saving money off the Bynum semi-guaranteed contract.
It appears to be a win-win trade for both squads.
The Cavs now have a legit small forward—albeit on a rental as Deng’s contract expires after this season— to pair with Kyrie Irving, who wants to make a playoff run with this season. Deng averaged 19.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 23 games for the Bulls this season.
Bynum is expected to be waived by the Bulls, which will save about $15M and go under the luxury tax, plus they gain assets in form of the future picks. With Derrick Rose injured, it also appears that the Chicago front office have chosen to give up on the season rather than make the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown