Breaking News – Actual NBA Trade: Luol Deng to Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum Plus 3 Picks to Chicago Bulls
By James Patrick Quizon | January 7, 2014 5:40 PM EST
Luol Deng's time with the Chicago Bulls is over-- a sign that Chicago is joining teams in tank mode this season.
According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.COM the Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired small forward rom the Bulls in a deal agreed upon by both teams late Monday. The Bulls will be receiving Andrew Bynum and future picks from Cleveland.
NBA: Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls
The Cavs will send Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Bulls for Luol Deng.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
Bulls did well with picks, will get a 1st rounder the Cavs own from Sacramento, limited 1st swap rights from Cavs in 15, 2 2nd round picks. — Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
It sort of a coup for the reeling Bulls who most likely outbid the Los Angeles Lakers—offering Pau Gasol and the Utah Jazz—offering Richard Jefferson, both of which were also interested in saving money off the Bynum semi-guaranteed contract.
It appears to be a win-win trade for both squads.
The Cavs now have a legit small forward—albeit on a rental as Deng’s contract expires after this season— to pair with Kyrie Irving, who wants to make a playoff run with this season. Deng averaged 19.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 23 games for the Bulls this season.
Bynum is expected to be waived by the Bulls, which will save about $15M and go under the luxury tax, plus they gain assets in form of the future picks. With Derrick Rose injured, it also appears that the Chicago front office have chosen to give up on the season rather than make the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills