Breaking News – Actual NBA Trade: Luol Deng to Cleveland Cavaliers, Andrew Bynum Plus 3 Picks to Chicago Bulls
By James Patrick Quizon | January 7, 2014 5:40 PM EST
Luol Deng's time with the Chicago Bulls is over-- a sign that Chicago is joining teams in tank mode this season.
According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.COM the Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired small forward rom the Bulls in a deal agreed upon by both teams late Monday. The Bulls will be receiving Andrew Bynum and future picks from Cleveland.
NBA: Boston Celtics at Chicago Bulls
The Cavs will send Andrew Bynum and a draft pick to the Bulls for Luol Deng.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
Bulls did well with picks, will get a 1st rounder the Cavs own from Sacramento, limited 1st swap rights from Cavs in 15, 2 2nd round picks. — Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) January 7, 2014
It sort of a coup for the reeling Bulls who most likely outbid the Los Angeles Lakers—offering Pau Gasol and the Utah Jazz—offering Richard Jefferson, both of which were also interested in saving money off the Bynum semi-guaranteed contract.
It appears to be a win-win trade for both squads.
The Cavs now have a legit small forward—albeit on a rental as Deng’s contract expires after this season— to pair with Kyrie Irving, who wants to make a playoff run with this season. Deng averaged 19.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in 23 games for the Bulls this season.
Bynum is expected to be waived by the Bulls, which will save about $15M and go under the luxury tax, plus they gain assets in form of the future picks. With Derrick Rose injured, it also appears that the Chicago front office have chosen to give up on the season rather than make the playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight