Chelsea Transfer News: Midfielder Given Permission to Hold Talks as January Switch Moves Closer
By Deepak Vikraman | January 7, 2014 5:14 PM EST
Chelsea moved one step closer to signing Fredy Guarin from Inter Milan after the midfielder was given permission to talk to the English Premier League club.
Guarin has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge in the January transfer window, with Jose Mourinho keen to bring in the player he coached during his stint with the Italian club.
The move looks inevitable now with Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio confirming interest from Chelsea, and revealing the London club had permission to hold talks with the player's agent over personal terms.
"With Chelsea there was contact, and it is a source of pride because Guarin is an important player," Ausilio told Sky Sport Italia. "They have the OK to talk with the agent of the player as it stands now, but if the player were to decide to stay we would still be very happy.
"We have no desire to sell [Guarin], who is an important player and keeps showing it. We want a certain level of continuity. We are happy to keep him, and there is no desire to sell."
Inter are expecting a bid of over £15 million for Guarin, and it would seem the ball is firmly in Chelsea's court.
Meanwhile, a player tipped to leave in the January transfer window -- Juan Mata - is set to hold talks with Chelsea over his future this week.
Mata's father and agent, Mata Sr., is set to fly into London to hold talks with Mourinho and the Chelsea board, according to the Daily Mirror.
The Spanish playmaker has been very much in the periphery under Jose Mourinho, despite being named the club's player of the year in the last two seasons.
With the 2014 World Cup not too far away, Mata is keen to get more playing time and is reportedly considering his options.
Mourinho insisted he wants to keep the Spain international at the club, but would not stand in his way if an enticing offer was put on the table.
Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Napoli and Paris Saint-Germain have all been linked with the 25-year-old former Valencia midfielder, with Manchester United and Arsenal also reportedly keeping tabs.
However, it is unlikely Chelsea will sell to a direct rival in the English Premier League, making the likes of Atletico and PSG favourites for Mata's signature.
Atletico are looking for an initial loan deal, in view to a permanent transfer, while PSG, who reportedly had a bid for Mata rejected in the summer, is keen on a permanent deal.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone