Indigenous Nuclear Capable Prithvi II Missile Successfully Test Fired From Odisha
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 5:13 PM EST
The indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile was successfully test-fired by India on Tuesday from a test range at Chandipur near Balasore, Odisha.
Screenshot from DRDO Site
The nuclear capable missile, which has a strike range of 350 km and thrusted by liquid propulsion twine engines, is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads.
The surface-to-surface missile was test fired as part of a user trial by the Indian Army and a regular monitoring exercise by DRDO scientists.
"The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of training exercise," sources told PTI.
The test was carried out around 9.48 am on Tuesday morning from a mobile launcher in salvo mode from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range.
"The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha," officials added.
The DRDO team onboard a ship in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown of the missile.
The last trial of the war Prithvi-II missile was successfully carried out on 3 December from the same base.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date