Indigenous Nuclear Capable Prithvi II Missile Successfully Test Fired From Odisha
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 5:13 PM EST
The indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile was successfully test-fired by India on Tuesday from a test range at Chandipur near Balasore, Odisha.
Screenshot from DRDO Site
The nuclear capable missile, which has a strike range of 350 km and thrusted by liquid propulsion twine engines, is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads.
The surface-to-surface missile was test fired as part of a user trial by the Indian Army and a regular monitoring exercise by DRDO scientists.
"The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of training exercise," sources told PTI.
The test was carried out around 9.48 am on Tuesday morning from a mobile launcher in salvo mode from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range.
"The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha," officials added.
The DRDO team onboard a ship in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown of the missile.
The last trial of the war Prithvi-II missile was successfully carried out on 3 December from the same base.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown