Indigenous Nuclear Capable Prithvi II Missile Successfully Test Fired From Odisha
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 5:13 PM EST
The indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile was successfully test-fired by India on Tuesday from a test range at Chandipur near Balasore, Odisha.
Screenshot from DRDO Site
The nuclear capable missile, which has a strike range of 350 km and thrusted by liquid propulsion twine engines, is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads.
The surface-to-surface missile was test fired as part of a user trial by the Indian Army and a regular monitoring exercise by DRDO scientists.
"The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of training exercise," sources told PTI.
The test was carried out around 9.48 am on Tuesday morning from a mobile launcher in salvo mode from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range.
"The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha," officials added.
The DRDO team onboard a ship in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown of the missile.
The last trial of the war Prithvi-II missile was successfully carried out on 3 December from the same base.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar