Indigenous Nuclear Capable Prithvi II Missile Successfully Test Fired From Odisha
By Karuna Chandwani | January 7, 2014 5:13 PM EST
The indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile was successfully test-fired by India on Tuesday from a test range at Chandipur near Balasore, Odisha.
Screenshot from DRDO Site
The nuclear capable missile, which has a strike range of 350 km and thrusted by liquid propulsion twine engines, is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads.
The surface-to-surface missile was test fired as part of a user trial by the Indian Army and a regular monitoring exercise by DRDO scientists.
"The missile was randomly chosen from the production stock and the entire launch activities were carried out by the specially formed Strategic Force Command (SFC) and monitored by the scientists of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) as part of training exercise," sources told PTI.
The test was carried out around 9.48 am on Tuesday morning from a mobile launcher in salvo mode from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range.
"The missile trajectory was tracked by DRDO radars, electro-optical tracking systems and telemetry stations located along the coast of Odisha," officials added.
The DRDO team onboard a ship in the Bay of Bengal monitored the terminal events and splashdown of the missile.
The last trial of the war Prithvi-II missile was successfully carried out on 3 December from the same base.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports