Game of Thrones: Kings Landing Takes New Address, New Wedding for Season 4
By Riza Ornos | January 7, 2014 5:08 PM EST
In all the seven kingdoms of Westeros, Kings Landing is the most favored one for it is the site of the Iron Throne and the Red Keep, the seat of the king. But this year the famous Kings Landing will be taking a new address in the historic town of Kings Langley for a week in Feb.
The English town will change its name to Kings Landing of HBO's "Game of Thrones" to celebrate the DVD release of the third season of the hit series. Located in the county of Hertfordshire, Kings Langley is an historic town situated 20 miles northwest of London with a population of just over 5000.
Based on Radio Times report, "a producer for the hit HBO show heard the town listed as a stop while waiting for a train at London's Euston station and was inspired to instigate the name change."
This is not the first time that a small town changes its name to reflect a popular entertainment show, a town of in New Mexico change its name from Hot Springs to Truth or Consequences. The town was after a popular 1950's NBC radio program who offered to air "Truth or Consequences" to the first town that will name itself after the show.
There is a second Kings Langley that can be found in suburban Sydney and Canada has a settlement called Kings Landing in Prince William, but these two small towns make no intention to do the same.
The rural town is expected to get a full makeover within a few weeks to coincide with the DVD release of the third season of the "Game of Thrones." The village will have theme events throughout the celebratory week, and shortly before the DVD release HBO is set to launch the fourth season of the fantasy series.
And speaking of the "Game of Thrones" fourth season, so what can diehard fans expect after the "Red Wedding?"
"We have another royal wedding, this one is not red; this one is a different color," author George R.R. Martin told E! News. "We have the introduction of some great new characters. We finally introduce one of the most popular characters from the books: Prince Oberon Martell. The Red Viper of Dorne will be introduced for the first time and there will be some other new characters that I think the fans will like."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best