Boxing News: Bob Arum Wants Mikey Garcia vs. Manny Pacquiao Fight To Happen as Soon as Possible
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 7, 2014 5:08 PM EST
Boxing News - Top-Rank head promoter Bob Arum reportedly wants rising star Mikey Garcia to move up in weight and fight eight-time division world champion Manny Pacquiao as soon as possible, a source close to situation disclosed last week.
Manny Pacquiao could fight Mikey Garcia either this year or in 2015
Arum, who is set to announce Pacquiao next opponent for his April fight in the coming days, is brewing a potential blockbuster slugfest between Pacquiao and Garcia, two division-world champion and one of the hottest prospects in the super featherweight division.
During a chat session with ESPN Boxing analyst Dan Rafael on ESPN Sports Nation, the veteran boxing pundit revealed the Arum might be rushing Garcia to move up to 140-pound and perhaps face Pacquiao in the first half of 2015.
"It wont take two years to move up to 140. Garcia defends his 130 title on Jan 25 vs. Burgos and in his next fight he is moving up. Might take a fight at lightweight and then on to 140," Rafael said during the chat session.
Garcia vs. Pacquiao - Passing the Torch Bout
Though it's uncertain if Pacquiao will still re-sign with Top-Rank promotions after 2014, many boxing analysts believed Pacman's showdown with the up-and-coming Garcia as a 'passing the torch bout' in the stable.
Without a doubt, Pacquiao is Top-Rank and HBO Boxing's biggest draw and his retirement without a clear-cut heir apparent to his throne on sight would be big blow to the businesses of these companies.
The 26-yea- old Garcia already boasts the Ring Magazine and WBO Featherweight title after blasting some of the finest contenders in his division, including Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel Lopez. In his first ever fight in the Super Featherweight division, Garcia knocked out Roman Martinez in the 8th round of their WBO title bout in November.
According to Rafael, he won't be shocked to see Garcia making his debut at 140 pounds this year right after he makes his first title defense against Mexican slugger Juan Carlos Burgos.
"Might even go up to 140 for his 2nd fight of this year. And then Arum wants to position him to fight Pacquiao at welter. It will be a fast process if it goes the way Top Rank and the Garcia camp want it to," he added.
Arum might be seeing big money potential in Pacquiao vs. Garcia showdown, so making a fight now before Pacquiao retires or bolts out from Top-Rank seems to be on the mind of the veteran promoter. The fight is expected to be viable business-wise, especially if Garcia continues to dominate as he adds more poundage.
For more Boxing News, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions