Manchester United Transfer News: Moyes Given £200 Million to Sign Reus, Koke and More
By Deepak Vikraman | January 7, 2014 4:50 PM EST
With Manchester United's season crashing quicker than a rockstar in the 70s, David Moyes will be given some much-needed help by the board courtesy a major transfer war chest for the January transfer window, as well as the we-hope-it-will-be-more-fruitful summer.
Following United's disastrous summer transfer window, where they only brought in Marouane Fellaini, and that too at a considerable premium, Moyes is desperate to strengthen his squad in January.
United currently find themselves cast adrift in the English Premier League title race, eleven points behind Arsenal, and were dealt another blow when Swansea knocked them out in the third round of the FA Cup, something that only happened once under Sir Alex Ferguson.
According to British newspaper the Daily Mail, the board, realising the importance of strengthening in any available transfer window, has promised Moyes funds to bring in new faces to the tune of £200 million.
The only problem is that United will find it difficult to get any of their preferred choices. After failing to bring in the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Thiago Alcantara and Leighton Baines during the summer transfer window, United fans and indeed Moyes could be in for another frustrating window with signing quality players in the January transfer window as tough as they come.
"We would like to bring people in but are those players available," Moyes said when asked about his plans for January.
"There is an urgency but there's no point in me hyping it up because the players we would like to bring in are probably not available in January."
United's primary transfer target is reportedly Borussia Dortmund playmaker Marco Reus, and with the German side doing really well in the Champions League this season, even if the Bundesliga title looks out of reach, it is unlikely the player will be willing to move in the middle of the season.
The other options in midfield include Ander Herrera and Ilkay Gundogan. Moyes has apparently ruled out a January move for Herrera, while Gundogan looks like the likeliest option, with Dortmund still waiting on the midfielder to sign a new contract.
Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke is also a big target for United, but the Spanish side are confident the Spanish international will remain with the club as they look to challenge Barcelona and Real Madrid for the La Liga title.
"I'm not surprised with this subject," Atletico sporting director Jose Luis Perez Caminero was quoted as saying by Marca, when asked about United's interest.
"He is a player who has improved considerably. It has also made it into the Spain squad and that puts you in the spotlight and opens more eyes.
"Koke will be with us for many years. I am convinced."
Moyes is also keen on a left-back, with two of the Premier League's best in his sights. Everton are again likely to reject any offer for Baines, while Southampton are unlikely to want to let go of Luke Shaw, unless they receive an offer they cannot refuse.
Shaw also recently said he has no plans of leaving in the winter window, and is quite happy to see out at least the rest of the season with the Saints.
As difficult as it may seem, Moyes needs to bring in a few fresh faces and hope that it will lift the rest of the squad to perform up to the level that they certainly are capable of, otherwise the train wreck could turn into a crash of epic proportions.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers