Food Laced with Pesticide Sickens More than 350 in Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 7, 2014 4:31 PM EST
More than 350 people across 32 prefectures in Japan fell sick after eating food manufactured by a food company that has been alleged to have been selling tainted frozen food products.
The products have been earlier recalled in December due to possible pesticide contamination.
Kyodo News said on Monday health and state officials are investigating if the food were from Aqlifoods Co., a subsidiary of Maruha Nichiro Holdings Inc. The company in December said that some of its frozen food products were tainted with malathion.
Malathion is a type of insecticide, a product used to kill or control bugs. Poisoning may occur if a person swallows it, handles the product without gloves, or fail to wash hands soon after exposure. Significant amounts are absorbed through the skin unless proper precautions are taken.
The seafood company recalled more than 6.4 million packages of its products after receiving buyer complaints of around 455,000 phone calls that its products smelled of gasoline or engine oil.
Internal investigation showed all the products were produced at a plant in Gunma Prefecture. For some unknown reason, the insecticide carbophos made its way into the products.
Aqlifoods was able to recover around 1.11 million products, but this represented only 17 per cent of the entirety that was distributed to the market.
Among the products recalled included frozen pizza, croquets and Japanese pelmeni or Gedza.
The company believed the pesticide was intentionally added into products.
Malathion is used for agricultural purposes to kill and control insects on crops and in gardens. It is also used in government programs to kill mosquitos in large outdoor areas.
Malathion may also be found in certain products to kill head lice.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate