Food Laced with Pesticide Sickens More than 350 in Japan
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 7, 2014 4:31 PM EST
More than 350 people across 32 prefectures in Japan fell sick after eating food manufactured by a food company that has been alleged to have been selling tainted frozen food products.
The products have been earlier recalled in December due to possible pesticide contamination.
Kyodo News said on Monday health and state officials are investigating if the food were from Aqlifoods Co., a subsidiary of Maruha Nichiro Holdings Inc. The company in December said that some of its frozen food products were tainted with malathion.
Malathion is a type of insecticide, a product used to kill or control bugs. Poisoning may occur if a person swallows it, handles the product without gloves, or fail to wash hands soon after exposure. Significant amounts are absorbed through the skin unless proper precautions are taken.
The seafood company recalled more than 6.4 million packages of its products after receiving buyer complaints of around 455,000 phone calls that its products smelled of gasoline or engine oil.
Internal investigation showed all the products were produced at a plant in Gunma Prefecture. For some unknown reason, the insecticide carbophos made its way into the products.
Aqlifoods was able to recover around 1.11 million products, but this represented only 17 per cent of the entirety that was distributed to the market.
Among the products recalled included frozen pizza, croquets and Japanese pelmeni or Gedza.
The company believed the pesticide was intentionally added into products.
Malathion is used for agricultural purposes to kill and control insects on crops and in gardens. It is also used in government programs to kill mosquitos in large outdoor areas.
Malathion may also be found in certain products to kill head lice.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports