Services Downturn Worsens in Dec but Hiring Picks Up
January 7, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Activity in India's services sector shrank at a faster pace last month as new orders dwindled, but firms hired at their fastest in five months, a survey showed on Monday.
Reuters/Rupak De Chowdhuri/Fil
An airlines staff member sits in front of a closed Kingfisher Airlines ticketing counter at the airport in Kolkata October 3, 2012.
The HSBC Services Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI), compiled by Markit, fell to 46.7 in December from 47.2 in November.
The December reading is the lowest in three months, and the index has now stayed below the 50 mark that divides growth and contraction for the sixth straight month.
The new orders index fell to 47.3 last month from 48.2 in November, and has also remained below the 50 mark for six months.
While previous surveys pointed to the softness in demand levelling off, a fall last month will raise more doubts about the speed at which the economy will recover from its decade-low pace of growth.
A long struggle to contain inflation with high interest rates, government policy paralysis and fragile global demand have put India in a rut of slowing growth.
But the pickup in the pace of hiring, as the PMI suggests, will provide some cheer. The December employment sub-index rose to its highest since July, after four months of showing a stagnant labour market.
In addition, price pressures grew at a slower pace last month, while business optimism rose. The expectations index hit its highest since July.
A similar survey last week showed India's factories lost momentum last month as softness in new domestic orders prompted firms to lower production growth, but demand from abroad picked up.
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims