Gold Steadies near Three-week High on Softer Equities, China Demand
January 7, 2014 2:52 PM EST
Gold held its ground near a three-week high on Tuesday as weaker equities and robust physical demand in China supported prices, while U.S. gold futures also steadied after unusually sharp movements the session before.
* Spot gold was little changed at $1,237.19 an ounce by 0010 GMT.
* Unusually heavy trading volumes rattled U.S. gold futures on Monday, triggering a brief halt while temporarily sending bullion prices down over $30 an ounce, or about 3 percent. Prices eventually closed flat.
* Hedge funds and money managers broadly raised their net long positions in gold and silver futures and options in the week to December 31, data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission showed on Monday.
* Indian officials are in talks to cut a record high import duty on gold and relax rules on exports, government sources said, after the measures helped narrow the country's trade deficit and now threaten to encourage smuggling.
* Janet Yellen, a key force behind the Federal Reserve's unprecedented and controversial efforts to boost the U.S. economy, was confirmed by the Senate to lead the central bank just as it begins to unwind that stimulus.
* Asian shares stabilised on Tuesday after four straight days of losses, while the dollar was on the defensive after disappointing U.S. services sector data raised concerns about stuttering growth in the world's largest economy.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation