Gold Steadies near Three-week High on Softer Equities, China Demand
January 7, 2014 2:52 PM EST
Gold held its ground near a three-week high on Tuesday as weaker equities and robust physical demand in China supported prices, while U.S. gold futures also steadied after unusually sharp movements the session before.
* Spot gold was little changed at $1,237.19 an ounce by 0010 GMT.
* Unusually heavy trading volumes rattled U.S. gold futures on Monday, triggering a brief halt while temporarily sending bullion prices down over $30 an ounce, or about 3 percent. Prices eventually closed flat.
* Hedge funds and money managers broadly raised their net long positions in gold and silver futures and options in the week to December 31, data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission showed on Monday.
* Indian officials are in talks to cut a record high import duty on gold and relax rules on exports, government sources said, after the measures helped narrow the country's trade deficit and now threaten to encourage smuggling.
* Janet Yellen, a key force behind the Federal Reserve's unprecedented and controversial efforts to boost the U.S. economy, was confirmed by the Senate to lead the central bank just as it begins to unwind that stimulus.
* Asian shares stabilised on Tuesday after four straight days of losses, while the dollar was on the defensive after disappointing U.S. services sector data raised concerns about stuttering growth in the world's largest economy.
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate