Laneway Festival Loses Another Act For Auckland Show; James Blake Cancels Appearance
By Anne Lu | January 7, 2014 2:24 PM EST
St Jerome’s Laneway Festival suffered another loss. After Kiwi superstar Lorde backed out of the Auckland show, British electronic musician James Blake also had to cancel his performance at the New Zealand leg of the festival to make it to the Grammy Awards in the U.S.
In December, Lorde announced that she wouldn’t be able to play at the music festival on January 27 because she needs to be in Los Angeles on the 26th for the Grammys. She’s nominated for record of the year, song of the year, pop solo performance, and best pop vocal for “Pure Heroine.”
She will be making it up to ticketholders, though, with a free concert on January 29.
On Monday, organisers of the festival announced that they have lost another headliner to the Grammys. This time, it’s Blake, who is nominated at the prestigious awards show for Best New Artist.
“Laneway supports James Blake’s decision to go to the Grammys. We are totally gutted that he is unable to make it, however we appreciate this is a huge achievement for James Blake and his career. Due to James Blake’s tight tour schedule it is not possible for us to schedule replacement dates,” Laneway co-promoter Mark Kneebone said in a statement.
The festival is accepting refund requests until 5pm on January 16. Those who don’t opt for refund would find two replacements for Blake, though.
“We worked right through the Christmas break to secure the best replacements we could. After multiple attempts over the years, we are very happy to announce that Cat Power and The Presets will be joining us for Laneway 2014.”
Meanwhile, the Melbourne and Sydney legs of the festival are already sold out, with tickets for the Brisbane, Adelaide, and Fremantle events also selling out fast, the organisers announced.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga