Queen Elizabeth Asks Grandson Prince Harry to Shave Off His Beard
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 2:24 PM EST
Prince Harry's beard may have gained him praises from the media and his relatives, but not with his own grandmother.
Express reports that Queen Elizabeth II has just ordered her grandson with Prince Charles to shave off his facial hair 'sooner rather than later.'
Prince Harry had his beard ever since his expedition to Antarctica last November which ended just before the holidays. Ever since he showed up at Sandringham for the family Christmas celebration, almost all of his relatives took notice of the beard the same color of his hair.
For instance, his brother Prince William and sister-in-law Catherine loved his 'Windsor Whiskers.' His cousin Zara Philips-Tindall even dubbed him as 'Prince Hairy,' according to a royal insider.
But apparently the Queen Royal was not as pleased.
'She doesn't mind royal men growing beards when they are away in the Armed Forces or out in the wilds like Harry was in the Antarctic, but she expects them to be clean-shaven when they get home. Royal staff are not supposed to grow beards or moustaches and she probably thinks it is difficult to enforce that rule when her own grandson has a beard,' says the same royal insider to Express.
There is no written rule forbidding facial hair among the royal staff, but according to a staff member at the Buckingham Palace, 'You are told not to grow a beard or moustache and that comes from the top. It would not go down well if you tried it on. The Queen thinks they look scruffy and are inappropriate at work.'
Harry promised his grandmother to shave it off, but not right away like the Queen wanted to.
'He wanted to show it off to Cressida (Bonas) first and see what she thought of it,' adds the insider.
Prince Harry was not the only royal who grew a beard in his lifetime. Back in 2008, Prince William grew a full beard when he participated in a naval exercise in Barbados, and kept it for the holiday celebration in Sandringham. And in 1975, Prince Charles also grew facial hair during the naval exercises in Alaska.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports