Queen Elizabeth Asks Grandson Prince Harry to Shave Off His Beard
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 2:24 PM EST
Prince Harry's beard may have gained him praises from the media and his relatives, but not with his own grandmother.
Express reports that Queen Elizabeth II has just ordered her grandson with Prince Charles to shave off his facial hair 'sooner rather than later.'
Prince Harry had his beard ever since his expedition to Antarctica last November which ended just before the holidays. Ever since he showed up at Sandringham for the family Christmas celebration, almost all of his relatives took notice of the beard the same color of his hair.
For instance, his brother Prince William and sister-in-law Catherine loved his 'Windsor Whiskers.' His cousin Zara Philips-Tindall even dubbed him as 'Prince Hairy,' according to a royal insider.
But apparently the Queen Royal was not as pleased.
'She doesn't mind royal men growing beards when they are away in the Armed Forces or out in the wilds like Harry was in the Antarctic, but she expects them to be clean-shaven when they get home. Royal staff are not supposed to grow beards or moustaches and she probably thinks it is difficult to enforce that rule when her own grandson has a beard,' says the same royal insider to Express.
There is no written rule forbidding facial hair among the royal staff, but according to a staff member at the Buckingham Palace, 'You are told not to grow a beard or moustache and that comes from the top. It would not go down well if you tried it on. The Queen thinks they look scruffy and are inappropriate at work.'
Harry promised his grandmother to shave it off, but not right away like the Queen wanted to.
'He wanted to show it off to Cressida (Bonas) first and see what she thought of it,' adds the insider.
Prince Harry was not the only royal who grew a beard in his lifetime. Back in 2008, Prince William grew a full beard when he participated in a naval exercise in Barbados, and kept it for the holiday celebration in Sandringham. And in 1975, Prince Charles also grew facial hair during the naval exercises in Alaska.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales