$100 Price Cut on iPhone 5S in Q2 2014 Preps Way for iOS Phablet May 2014 Intro & iPhone 6 Sept Release Date – Reports
By Erik Pineda | January 7, 2014 1:29 PM EST
Apple will reportedly slash the iPhone 5S retail price on May 2014, which according to a new report will signal the advent of new iOS devices - the iPhone phablets in the same month and the iPhone 6 in September of the same year.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Reports coming from Asia indicated that Apple's current flagship, the iPhone 5S, is scheduled for a significant price discount on May this year. However, no explanation was provided in the news that BGR picked up from South Korea.
While the news itself is welcome to millions of iPhone fans, who may want to hold off buying the 5S until a few months from now, bigger details are seemingly behind the latest development. It appears that once the price cut backs are in place, Apple would be all set to unveil its next line of iOS smartphones.
First to come out, according to rumours swirling around in China are two iPhone phablets that presumably will be in two screen sizes - a 4.7-inch and a 5.7-inch. Recall that these screen profiles have been implied before in successive reports that were filed late 2013 by The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg.
Now, these oversized iPhones are becoming more and more real and according to BGR, still citing reports from Chinese suppliers, they will be powered either by a new A8 processing chip or a slightly-improved A7 CPU that fires up the current batch of iPhones and iPads.
Note that the same report emphasised that these two iOS phablets are separate from the long-rumoured iPhone 6, which ET News from South Korea dubbed as the iPhone Air.
As one would surmise, the iPhone 6 will take after the iPad Air, which means the handset's highlighted features would be its slimmed-down and lightweight body.
On rollout time, the iPhone 6 or iPhone Air will slide out of the box bearing a body make that is only 6mm thick, making it the thinnest iPhone ever to come out of Apple's production line.
The same report, according to BGR, suggested that device unwrapping is scheduled for September 2014, which is in line with numerous projections provided by Apple-focused analysts since last year.
These fresh reports depart from earlier speculations that the current iPhone is getting a major overhaul in 2014. Initially, Apple watchers were looking on the likelihood that the next iPhone will ditch the 4-inch screen favour of a stretched front panel with the dimension ranging from 4.5-inch to 6-inch.
It appears now that the tech giant is sticking to its firm belief of delivering an iOS device that adheres to one-hand navigation. While it is likely that the iPhone 6 screen will be given a significant bump, it should be no more than five inches, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-chi Kuo.
Note too that the May 2014 debut of the iPhone phablets only confirmed the earlier forecast of many analysts - that the iPhone 6 release date is set for the second half of 2014, touching down between September and October of the same year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report