Is Roger Federer Done? Can the Swiss Win a Grand Slam Title in 2014? Djokovic, Nadal, Murray Favoured to Win at Least One
By James Patrick Quizon | January 7, 2014 12:32 PM EST
Without question, Roger Federer is in the twilight of his career. But is the Swiss legend’s career over? Or will he have a resurgent year in 2014?
2013 has been tough on one of the most popular and likeable players in this era. He finished with a lowly 45-17 win-loss record for the year— it still is a winning record but poor by Fed’s standards he set as a multiple champion in previous years.
Federer of Switzerland holds up runners-up trophy after being defeated by Australia's Hewitt at men's singles final match at Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane. (Reuters)
He bagged only one title in 2013, a minor one in Germany in June, and suffered defeats in all other 17 tournaments he joined. His 2013 Grand Slam resume has been near atrocious as well, especially in the latter two, prompting fans and expert alike to ask: is Federer done?
Lost to Andy Murray, 4-6, 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(2), 2-6, in the semifinals of the Australian Open
Lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, 5-7, 3-6, 3-6, in the quarterfinals of the French Open
Lost to Sergiy Stakhovsky, 7-6(5), 6-7(5), 5-7, 6-7(5), in the Round of 64 of Wimbledon
Lost to Tommy Robredo, 6-7(3), 3-6, 4-6, in the Round of 16 of the U.S. Open
Obviously, one-fourth of Federer is still better than more than half the field of ATP players. After all, the Swiss is still ranked 6th in the ATP rankings entering this year. But it appears, his dominant years are behind him.
In his first and warm-up tourney leading up to the Aussie Open, Federer lost to tour veteran Lleyton Hewitt in the final of the Brisbane International. Is this a sign of what’s to come for Federer in 2014? Still managing to get the wins, but not good enough to take down the title?
The sportsbooks appear to agree with most Fed critics too.
Bettting Odds - How many Grand Slam Titles will Roger Federer win in 2014?
The simple formula:
Amount of Bet (X) times Betting Odds = Total Payout
Clearly, the “None” option (meaning he won’t win a Grand Slam title in 2014) is the runaway favourite. A $100 bet on this betting line will only net the bettor $110 or just $10 winnings—another clear sign that even the books disrespect Federer’s skills at this (low) point of his career.
Then again, maybe the Swiss legend can turn back the clock and be his dominant self again? If you are a believer of Federer then the next four options looks enticing. The same $100 bet will net a Federer backer of $251 if he wins one title; or $740 payout if he wins two! If he wins three or four? Those are big wins of $21,100 or 50,100, respectively!
Do you believe in Roger in 2014?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports