Man Sentenced 8-Month Imprisonment for Slapping & Insulting Black Child
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | January 7, 2014 12:15 PM EST
Joe Rickey Hundley, the former aerospace executive accused of slapping a black child on the face, was sentenced to be imprisoned for 8 months. The judgement came on Monday while Mr Hundley's lawyer blamed his uncalled-for behaviour on alcoholism.
A former aerospace executive who slapped a crying toddler on an airplane and used a racial slur against the child, who is black, received an eight-month prison sentence on Monday for an incident his attorney blamed on his alcoholism.
Mr Hundley was accused of slapping the 19-month old crying baby under the right eye and using racist comment against the baby. The incident took place in Feb 2013 while Mr Hundley was traveling on a Delta Air Lines flight to Atlanta from Minneapolis. Mr Hundley apologised to the mother of the child for his behaviour in court. He pleaded guilty to the charge of misdemeanour in Oct.
Even though prosecutors recommended for a 6-month imprisonment, the federal judge was not obliged to listen to the recommendations. The possible penalisation for misbehaviour included $100,000 fine and imprisonment of up to one year. The judge decided to give Mr Hundley a stricter punishment.
According to Mr Hundley's attorney, Mr Hundley was emotionally unstable as he was going to Atlanta to remove the life support of his own dying son who became critical due to insulin overdose. Mr Hundley's misbehaviour on the flight was also due to alcoholism, she added. The mother of the child also complained earlier that Mr Hundley did seem intoxicated as he behaved aggressively. He slapped the child as it started crying when the flight landed.
Mr Hundley's attorney informed that Mr Hundley lost his job at AGC Aerospace & Defense after he had gotten involved in the slapping. He used to hold an executive position in the company but the criminal offence took it all from him.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage