Madonna Posts Photo of Son Holding Liquor Bottle, Sparks Controversy
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Madonna has just landed herself on fire after posting a photo of her son holding a bottle of liquor.
The 55-year-old singer recently posted over her Instagram account on Saturday a photo of her son Rocco Ritchie holding a bottle of gin while their family is on vacation at the Swiss Alps. He was also surrounded with two more boys holding bottles of vodka.
Singer Madonna performs at the Staples Center as part of her MDNA world tour in Los Angeles, California in this October 10, 2012
'The party has just begun! Bring it! 2014,' says the caption of the photo.
Take note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old and 16 years old in Switzerland. Ritchie is now 13 years old.
Within 24 hours, the post generated more than 1,200 comments. Some of them expressed their concern over Ritchie's supposed drinking, with comments like 'Booze is not something to make jokes about. Period!' and 'You gotta know what kind of signals it sends not only to her son, but also to kids around the world.'
Madge's fans, however, came to her family's defense.
'Rocco is adorable and I think it's really cool that Madonna, and her family, post any pics. Madonna may be a worldwide icon, but she is human like the rest of us,' comments one user.
Finally, Madonna herself addressed all the comments regarding her son's photo with a response that goes, 'No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!'
Meanwhile, in an interview with Ellen deGeneres two years ago, Ritchie admits that the "Material Girl" singer was a strict mother of sorts.
'She's a good mother. Yes. That's all I have to say. She's very strict, but in a good way.'
That same year, Madonna explains to Brian Williams of Today Show why she needs to be strict with her children.
'I'm probably not as tough as I should be. I think I need to be maybe tougher,' says Madge. 'Every day is a negotiation, but cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter.'
She said this statement following the release of the photos where her 17-year-old daughter Lourdes was caught smoking with her peers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy