Madonna Posts Photo of Son Holding Liquor Bottle, Sparks Controversy
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Madonna has just landed herself on fire after posting a photo of her son holding a bottle of liquor.
The 55-year-old singer recently posted over her Instagram account on Saturday a photo of her son Rocco Ritchie holding a bottle of gin while their family is on vacation at the Swiss Alps. He was also surrounded with two more boys holding bottles of vodka.
Singer Madonna performs at the Staples Center as part of her MDNA world tour in Los Angeles, California in this October 10, 2012
'The party has just begun! Bring it! 2014,' says the caption of the photo.
Take note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old and 16 years old in Switzerland. Ritchie is now 13 years old.
Within 24 hours, the post generated more than 1,200 comments. Some of them expressed their concern over Ritchie's supposed drinking, with comments like 'Booze is not something to make jokes about. Period!' and 'You gotta know what kind of signals it sends not only to her son, but also to kids around the world.'
Madge's fans, however, came to her family's defense.
'Rocco is adorable and I think it's really cool that Madonna, and her family, post any pics. Madonna may be a worldwide icon, but she is human like the rest of us,' comments one user.
Finally, Madonna herself addressed all the comments regarding her son's photo with a response that goes, 'No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!'
Meanwhile, in an interview with Ellen deGeneres two years ago, Ritchie admits that the "Material Girl" singer was a strict mother of sorts.
'She's a good mother. Yes. That's all I have to say. She's very strict, but in a good way.'
That same year, Madonna explains to Brian Williams of Today Show why she needs to be strict with her children.
'I'm probably not as tough as I should be. I think I need to be maybe tougher,' says Madge. 'Every day is a negotiation, but cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter.'
She said this statement following the release of the photos where her 17-year-old daughter Lourdes was caught smoking with her peers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes