Madonna Posts Photo of Son Holding Liquor Bottle, Sparks Controversy
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Madonna has just landed herself on fire after posting a photo of her son holding a bottle of liquor.
The 55-year-old singer recently posted over her Instagram account on Saturday a photo of her son Rocco Ritchie holding a bottle of gin while their family is on vacation at the Swiss Alps. He was also surrounded with two more boys holding bottles of vodka.
Singer Madonna performs at the Staples Center as part of her MDNA world tour in Los Angeles, California in this October 10, 2012
'The party has just begun! Bring it! 2014,' says the caption of the photo.
Take note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old and 16 years old in Switzerland. Ritchie is now 13 years old.
Within 24 hours, the post generated more than 1,200 comments. Some of them expressed their concern over Ritchie's supposed drinking, with comments like 'Booze is not something to make jokes about. Period!' and 'You gotta know what kind of signals it sends not only to her son, but also to kids around the world.'
Madge's fans, however, came to her family's defense.
'Rocco is adorable and I think it's really cool that Madonna, and her family, post any pics. Madonna may be a worldwide icon, but she is human like the rest of us,' comments one user.
Finally, Madonna herself addressed all the comments regarding her son's photo with a response that goes, 'No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!'
Meanwhile, in an interview with Ellen deGeneres two years ago, Ritchie admits that the "Material Girl" singer was a strict mother of sorts.
'She's a good mother. Yes. That's all I have to say. She's very strict, but in a good way.'
That same year, Madonna explains to Brian Williams of Today Show why she needs to be strict with her children.
'I'm probably not as tough as I should be. I think I need to be maybe tougher,' says Madge. 'Every day is a negotiation, but cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter.'
She said this statement following the release of the photos where her 17-year-old daughter Lourdes was caught smoking with her peers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools