Madonna Posts Photo of Son Holding Liquor Bottle, Sparks Controversy
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Madonna has just landed herself on fire after posting a photo of her son holding a bottle of liquor.
The 55-year-old singer recently posted over her Instagram account on Saturday a photo of her son Rocco Ritchie holding a bottle of gin while their family is on vacation at the Swiss Alps. He was also surrounded with two more boys holding bottles of vodka.
Singer Madonna performs at the Staples Center as part of her MDNA world tour in Los Angeles, California in this October 10, 2012
'The party has just begun! Bring it! 2014,' says the caption of the photo.
Take note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old and 16 years old in Switzerland. Ritchie is now 13 years old.
Within 24 hours, the post generated more than 1,200 comments. Some of them expressed their concern over Ritchie's supposed drinking, with comments like 'Booze is not something to make jokes about. Period!' and 'You gotta know what kind of signals it sends not only to her son, but also to kids around the world.'
Madge's fans, however, came to her family's defense.
'Rocco is adorable and I think it's really cool that Madonna, and her family, post any pics. Madonna may be a worldwide icon, but she is human like the rest of us,' comments one user.
Finally, Madonna herself addressed all the comments regarding her son's photo with a response that goes, 'No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!'
Meanwhile, in an interview with Ellen deGeneres two years ago, Ritchie admits that the "Material Girl" singer was a strict mother of sorts.
'She's a good mother. Yes. That's all I have to say. She's very strict, but in a good way.'
That same year, Madonna explains to Brian Williams of Today Show why she needs to be strict with her children.
'I'm probably not as tough as I should be. I think I need to be maybe tougher,' says Madge. 'Every day is a negotiation, but cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter.'
She said this statement following the release of the photos where her 17-year-old daughter Lourdes was caught smoking with her peers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks