Madonna Posts Photo of Son Holding Liquor Bottle, Sparks Controversy
By Jesselle Maminta | January 7, 2014 11:57 AM EST
Madonna has just landed herself on fire after posting a photo of her son holding a bottle of liquor.
The 55-year-old singer recently posted over her Instagram account on Saturday a photo of her son Rocco Ritchie holding a bottle of gin while their family is on vacation at the Swiss Alps. He was also surrounded with two more boys holding bottles of vodka.
Singer Madonna performs at the Staples Center as part of her MDNA world tour in Los Angeles, California in this October 10, 2012
'The party has just begun! Bring it! 2014,' says the caption of the photo.
Take note that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years old and 16 years old in Switzerland. Ritchie is now 13 years old.
Within 24 hours, the post generated more than 1,200 comments. Some of them expressed their concern over Ritchie's supposed drinking, with comments like 'Booze is not something to make jokes about. Period!' and 'You gotta know what kind of signals it sends not only to her son, but also to kids around the world.'
Madge's fans, however, came to her family's defense.
'Rocco is adorable and I think it's really cool that Madonna, and her family, post any pics. Madonna may be a worldwide icon, but she is human like the rest of us,' comments one user.
Finally, Madonna herself addressed all the comments regarding her son's photo with a response that goes, 'No one was drinking we were just having fun! Calm down and get a sense of humor! Don't start the year off with judgement!'
Meanwhile, in an interview with Ellen deGeneres two years ago, Ritchie admits that the "Material Girl" singer was a strict mother of sorts.
'She's a good mother. Yes. That's all I have to say. She's very strict, but in a good way.'
That same year, Madonna explains to Brian Williams of Today Show why she needs to be strict with her children.
'I'm probably not as tough as I should be. I think I need to be maybe tougher,' says Madge. 'Every day is a negotiation, but cigarette smoking I'm not very fond of, for anyone. I don't approve of anyone smoking cigarettes, most of all my daughter.'
She said this statement following the release of the photos where her 17-year-old daughter Lourdes was caught smoking with her peers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)