Would You Join the Selfie Olympic?
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 7, 2014 11:23 AM EST
The selfie continues to evolve from just being a trend and the buzz word of 2013 to becoming an official game in 2014: the Selfie Olympics.
According to Business Insider, the only goal of this competition involving self photo-taking, is to come up with the most ridiculous, crazy selfie that would blow the mind of everyone.
A couple takes a "selfie" following an ice storm in Toronto, December 22, 2013. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
To help promote this self-centred competition, a Facebook page with almost 50,000 likes was set up. Other social media sites that also promote selfies are part of the promotion too, such as Instagram where by searching for the hashtag #Selfie Olympics, more than 20,000 images would show up. There are also several Twitter accounts dedicated to Selfie images.
On the Facebook fan page, one of the most common themes is selfies of people who are atop an ajar door. There is even a YouTube video providing tips on how to do a door selfie. Here is that video.
From attention-craving young people, the selfie bug is spreading around like a virus and biting more people, even older ones like Oscar-award winning actress Meryl Streep and Pope Francis.
Do you think they too would join the Selfie Olympics?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection' Xbox One Fixes And Free Gifts, Bonnie Ross Apologises For Issues
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft