Would You Join the Selfie Olympic?
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 7, 2014 11:23 AM EST
The selfie continues to evolve from just being a trend and the buzz word of 2013 to becoming an official game in 2014: the Selfie Olympics.
According to Business Insider, the only goal of this competition involving self photo-taking, is to come up with the most ridiculous, crazy selfie that would blow the mind of everyone.
A couple takes a "selfie" following an ice storm in Toronto, December 22, 2013. REUTERS/Mark Blinch
To help promote this self-centred competition, a Facebook page with almost 50,000 likes was set up. Other social media sites that also promote selfies are part of the promotion too, such as Instagram where by searching for the hashtag #Selfie Olympics, more than 20,000 images would show up. There are also several Twitter accounts dedicated to Selfie images.
On the Facebook fan page, one of the most common themes is selfies of people who are atop an ajar door. There is even a YouTube video providing tips on how to do a door selfie. Here is that video.
From attention-craving young people, the selfie bug is spreading around like a virus and biting more people, even older ones like Oscar-award winning actress Meryl Streep and Pope Francis.
Do you think they too would join the Selfie Olympics?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire News: Meet Professor Birch Plus X and Y Updates
- Samsung Galaxy S5: Logitech Unveils Protection+ Case Accessory for Android Smartphone
- Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition: Flemeth, Tallis, the Warden and Champion of Kirkwall Possible Appearances
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People