After Schumacher, German Chancellor Angela Merkel Is Latest Victim of Ski Accident; Fractures Pelvis
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 7, 2014 10:39 AM EST
Skiing took its toll again on a celebrity via an accident; this time the victim is German Chancellor Angela Merkel who fractured her pelvis. Her ski accident follows a similar accident of Formula One legend Michael Schumacher who is still in a medically induced coma since Dec 29.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel holds a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone, as it was revealed this week that the NSA had been listening in on her telephone conversations. (Credit: Reuters)
Ms Merkel was in Switzerland. Her accident also happened late December, but the incident was disclosed to the public only on Monday. She was on her winter holiday in Engadin, near St Moritz.
The accident forced the German leader to cancel several appointments and foreign trips in the next three weeks, including one scheduled this week to Poland.
But her injury, a fractured pelvis, is less serious that Mr Schumacher's. Ms Merkel could walk on crutches and will hold her regular cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
Steffen Siebert, her spokesman, said the chancellor fell while cross-country skiing at low speed. She initially thought the fall resulted only in a bruise, but she saw a doctor after several hours. The diagnosis was that there is a partial fracture on the left, rear part of her pelvis.
The accident led to questions about the age of the ski she used. Ms Merkel's skis are Germina Alpha CS, made in Germany between 1992 and 1995. While the manufacturer previously commented when Ms Merkel was seen using an old ski while at the Swiss resort of St Moritz, Germina insisted despite not being the newest pair, being German-made makes it still usable.
But one of Germina's manager commented to the Bild newspaper that Ms Merkel should maybe think of buying a new pair since skis, with regular use, lose some of their effectiveness after a decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation