After Schumacher, German Chancellor Angela Merkel Is Latest Victim of Ski Accident; Fractures Pelvis
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 7, 2014 10:39 AM EST
Skiing took its toll again on a celebrity via an accident; this time the victim is German Chancellor Angela Merkel who fractured her pelvis. Her ski accident follows a similar accident of Formula One legend Michael Schumacher who is still in a medically induced coma since Dec 29.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel holds a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone, as it was revealed this week that the NSA had been listening in on her telephone conversations. (Credit: Reuters)
Ms Merkel was in Switzerland. Her accident also happened late December, but the incident was disclosed to the public only on Monday. She was on her winter holiday in Engadin, near St Moritz.
The accident forced the German leader to cancel several appointments and foreign trips in the next three weeks, including one scheduled this week to Poland.
But her injury, a fractured pelvis, is less serious that Mr Schumacher's. Ms Merkel could walk on crutches and will hold her regular cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
Steffen Siebert, her spokesman, said the chancellor fell while cross-country skiing at low speed. She initially thought the fall resulted only in a bruise, but she saw a doctor after several hours. The diagnosis was that there is a partial fracture on the left, rear part of her pelvis.
The accident led to questions about the age of the ski she used. Ms Merkel's skis are Germina Alpha CS, made in Germany between 1992 and 1995. While the manufacturer previously commented when Ms Merkel was seen using an old ski while at the Swiss resort of St Moritz, Germina insisted despite not being the newest pair, being German-made makes it still usable.
But one of Germina's manager commented to the Bild newspaper that Ms Merkel should maybe think of buying a new pair since skis, with regular use, lose some of their effectiveness after a decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery