After Schumacher, German Chancellor Angela Merkel Is Latest Victim of Ski Accident; Fractures Pelvis
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 7, 2014 10:39 AM EST
Skiing took its toll again on a celebrity via an accident; this time the victim is German Chancellor Angela Merkel who fractured her pelvis. Her ski accident follows a similar accident of Formula One legend Michael Schumacher who is still in a medically induced coma since Dec 29.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel holds a BlackBerry Z10 smartphone, as it was revealed this week that the NSA had been listening in on her telephone conversations. (Credit: Reuters)
Ms Merkel was in Switzerland. Her accident also happened late December, but the incident was disclosed to the public only on Monday. She was on her winter holiday in Engadin, near St Moritz.
The accident forced the German leader to cancel several appointments and foreign trips in the next three weeks, including one scheduled this week to Poland.
But her injury, a fractured pelvis, is less serious that Mr Schumacher's. Ms Merkel could walk on crutches and will hold her regular cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
Steffen Siebert, her spokesman, said the chancellor fell while cross-country skiing at low speed. She initially thought the fall resulted only in a bruise, but she saw a doctor after several hours. The diagnosis was that there is a partial fracture on the left, rear part of her pelvis.
The accident led to questions about the age of the ski she used. Ms Merkel's skis are Germina Alpha CS, made in Germany between 1992 and 1995. While the manufacturer previously commented when Ms Merkel was seen using an old ski while at the Swiss resort of St Moritz, Germina insisted despite not being the newest pair, being German-made makes it still usable.
But one of Germina's manager commented to the Bild newspaper that Ms Merkel should maybe think of buying a new pair since skis, with regular use, lose some of their effectiveness after a decade.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies