Australian Actors Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:17 AM EST
It is tough to make a career in Hollywood, and it even tougher for those who aren't citizens of the United States. But with the swift evolving world of showbiz, some folks may not know that a number of Hollywood's big stars are from the Australia. Below is a brief overview of their silver screen achievements.
Hugh Jackman calls James Bond Ridiculously Funny/Reuters
Heath Ledger - The late actor who became well-known for his legendary work in "The Dark Knight" and "Brokeback Mountain" is considered one of the all time best actors.
Hugh Jackman - Best known for his work in "Wolverine," Jackman persistently giving blockbuster movies one after the other. He also co-starred with Niclole Kidman (another great Australian actress) in the movie "Australia."
Mel Gibson - He has starred in many grand movies but he left a big impression with his role in "Braveheart." He produced the movie "The Passion of the Christ."
Russell Crowe - the versatile actor has proven his talent in movies like "Gladiator" - an epic sword fighting action movie and "A Beautiful Mind," a melodrama. He's considered one of the greatest actors in Hollywood.
Rod Taylor - He starred in successful movies like "The Birds" and in late 2000, he has also appeared in "Inglorious Bustards."
Guy Pearce - He has carved a niche in the hearts of people with the movie "Memento" and recently left a mark with "The Hurt Locker." With his dynamic acting skills, he has a long way to go.
Sam Worthington - one more versatile actor from Australia best known for his role in "Terminator Salvation" and "Avatar." With great adaptability he can do justice to drama, action, or comedy.
Eric Bana - He started his career with, "Eric Bana Show" while the show did not get enough viewers to go on, in 1997 he won a Loggie award for most popular comedy personality. His first movie was "The Castle" in 1998, followed by "Chopper" in 2000, which earned him a best actor award of the Australian Film Institute and the limelight in international film industry. Bana's best movies are; "Black Hawk Down," "Troy," "The Other Boleyn Girl," "Star Trek," "The Time Traveler's Wife,""Funny People," "Hanna," and "Deadfall."
Watch: Hugh Jackman explains the influx of Australian actors in Hollywood
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- Jennifer Lopez And Iggy Azalea Show Off Their Incredible Bodies In Risqué Artwork Of 'Booty' Remix
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge