Australian Actors Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:17 AM EST
It is tough to make a career in Hollywood, and it even tougher for those who aren't citizens of the United States. But with the swift evolving world of showbiz, some folks may not know that a number of Hollywood's big stars are from the Australia. Below is a brief overview of their silver screen achievements.
Hugh Jackman calls James Bond Ridiculously Funny/Reuters
Heath Ledger - The late actor who became well-known for his legendary work in "The Dark Knight" and "Brokeback Mountain" is considered one of the all time best actors.
Hugh Jackman - Best known for his work in "Wolverine," Jackman persistently giving blockbuster movies one after the other. He also co-starred with Niclole Kidman (another great Australian actress) in the movie "Australia."
Mel Gibson - He has starred in many grand movies but he left a big impression with his role in "Braveheart." He produced the movie "The Passion of the Christ."
Russell Crowe - the versatile actor has proven his talent in movies like "Gladiator" - an epic sword fighting action movie and "A Beautiful Mind," a melodrama. He's considered one of the greatest actors in Hollywood.
Rod Taylor - He starred in successful movies like "The Birds" and in late 2000, he has also appeared in "Inglorious Bustards."
Guy Pearce - He has carved a niche in the hearts of people with the movie "Memento" and recently left a mark with "The Hurt Locker." With his dynamic acting skills, he has a long way to go.
Sam Worthington - one more versatile actor from Australia best known for his role in "Terminator Salvation" and "Avatar." With great adaptability he can do justice to drama, action, or comedy.
Eric Bana - He started his career with, "Eric Bana Show" while the show did not get enough viewers to go on, in 1997 he won a Loggie award for most popular comedy personality. His first movie was "The Castle" in 1998, followed by "Chopper" in 2000, which earned him a best actor award of the Australian Film Institute and the limelight in international film industry. Bana's best movies are; "Black Hawk Down," "Troy," "The Other Boleyn Girl," "Star Trek," "The Time Traveler's Wife,""Funny People," "Hanna," and "Deadfall."
Watch: Hugh Jackman explains the influx of Australian actors in Hollywood
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 New Teaser Video, Spoilers: ‘Don’t Hesitate, They Won’t’
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation