Australian Actors Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:17 AM EST
It is tough to make a career in Hollywood, and it even tougher for those who aren't citizens of the United States. But with the swift evolving world of showbiz, some folks may not know that a number of Hollywood's big stars are from the Australia. Below is a brief overview of their silver screen achievements.
Hugh Jackman calls James Bond Ridiculously Funny/Reuters
Heath Ledger - The late actor who became well-known for his legendary work in "The Dark Knight" and "Brokeback Mountain" is considered one of the all time best actors.
Hugh Jackman - Best known for his work in "Wolverine," Jackman persistently giving blockbuster movies one after the other. He also co-starred with Niclole Kidman (another great Australian actress) in the movie "Australia."
Mel Gibson - He has starred in many grand movies but he left a big impression with his role in "Braveheart." He produced the movie "The Passion of the Christ."
Russell Crowe - the versatile actor has proven his talent in movies like "Gladiator" - an epic sword fighting action movie and "A Beautiful Mind," a melodrama. He's considered one of the greatest actors in Hollywood.
Rod Taylor - He starred in successful movies like "The Birds" and in late 2000, he has also appeared in "Inglorious Bustards."
Guy Pearce - He has carved a niche in the hearts of people with the movie "Memento" and recently left a mark with "The Hurt Locker." With his dynamic acting skills, he has a long way to go.
Sam Worthington - one more versatile actor from Australia best known for his role in "Terminator Salvation" and "Avatar." With great adaptability he can do justice to drama, action, or comedy.
Eric Bana - He started his career with, "Eric Bana Show" while the show did not get enough viewers to go on, in 1997 he won a Loggie award for most popular comedy personality. His first movie was "The Castle" in 1998, followed by "Chopper" in 2000, which earned him a best actor award of the Australian Film Institute and the limelight in international film industry. Bana's best movies are; "Black Hawk Down," "Troy," "The Other Boleyn Girl," "Star Trek," "The Time Traveler's Wife,""Funny People," "Hanna," and "Deadfall."
Watch: Hugh Jackman explains the influx of Australian actors in Hollywood
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop