Australian Actors Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:17 AM EST
It is tough to make a career in Hollywood, and it even tougher for those who aren't citizens of the United States. But with the swift evolving world of showbiz, some folks may not know that a number of Hollywood's big stars are from the Australia. Below is a brief overview of their silver screen achievements.
Hugh Jackman calls James Bond Ridiculously Funny/Reuters
Heath Ledger - The late actor who became well-known for his legendary work in "The Dark Knight" and "Brokeback Mountain" is considered one of the all time best actors.
Hugh Jackman - Best known for his work in "Wolverine," Jackman persistently giving blockbuster movies one after the other. He also co-starred with Niclole Kidman (another great Australian actress) in the movie "Australia."
Mel Gibson - He has starred in many grand movies but he left a big impression with his role in "Braveheart." He produced the movie "The Passion of the Christ."
Russell Crowe - the versatile actor has proven his talent in movies like "Gladiator" - an epic sword fighting action movie and "A Beautiful Mind," a melodrama. He's considered one of the greatest actors in Hollywood.
Rod Taylor - He starred in successful movies like "The Birds" and in late 2000, he has also appeared in "Inglorious Bustards."
Guy Pearce - He has carved a niche in the hearts of people with the movie "Memento" and recently left a mark with "The Hurt Locker." With his dynamic acting skills, he has a long way to go.
Sam Worthington - one more versatile actor from Australia best known for his role in "Terminator Salvation" and "Avatar." With great adaptability he can do justice to drama, action, or comedy.
Eric Bana - He started his career with, "Eric Bana Show" while the show did not get enough viewers to go on, in 1997 he won a Loggie award for most popular comedy personality. His first movie was "The Castle" in 1998, followed by "Chopper" in 2000, which earned him a best actor award of the Australian Film Institute and the limelight in international film industry. Bana's best movies are; "Black Hawk Down," "Troy," "The Other Boleyn Girl," "Star Trek," "The Time Traveler's Wife,""Funny People," "Hanna," and "Deadfall."
Watch: Hugh Jackman explains the influx of Australian actors in Hollywood
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2