Australian Actresses Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:15 AM EST
There are a lot of Australian actresses who have made it big in Hollywood. Here are compiled information about three Australian actresses that have made an international career in movies and made their country proud. Actresses Nicole Kidman,Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne are well-known Australian women that made a name in Hollywood as well. Below is a brief outline of their silver screen accomplishments.
Jury member of the 66th Cannes Film Festival actress Nicole Kidman arrives on stage during the opening ceremony of the 66th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 15, 2013. The Cannes Film Festival runs from May 15 to May 26.
Kidman is one of the best actresses in Hollywood and one of the most famous Australians. Among her many movies a few that have left a deep impression on viewers' heart would be "Moulin Rouge" and "Australia." She began her career in the early 80s and done children's movie "BMX Bandits" and "Bush Christmas". She has also played in TV shows including; "Five Mile Creek" and "A Country Practice."
In 1989 Kidman was highly acclaimed for her leading role in the Australian film "Dead Calm." She rose to celebrity status after this.
Her career includes:
- In 2001, she has won an Oscar for her portrayal of Virginia Wolf in "The Hours"
- Three Golden Globe awards:
- In 1995 for her work in "To Die For"
- In 2001 for "Moulin Rouge"
- In 2002 for "The Hours"
Many times she has been nominated for the Golden Globe, Oscar and many other esteemed awards and nominations of the tinsel town. Since 2003, she has her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 2006, she topped the list of the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood and in the same year Australia has honoured her contribution to film industry and philanthropic works by making Nicole Kidman a Companion of the Order of Australia. In 2008, in the epic movie "Australia", directed by Baz Luhrmann she co-starred with eminent Australian actor, Hugh Jackman. Nicole is presently married to one of the well-known Australian singers, Keith Urban and blessed with two daughters.
Blanchette began her career in theatre in 1992. In 1994 she played the role of Ophelia in the "Hamlet" production of the "Company B" theatre in Sydney. In 1997 she has made her international debut in "Paradise Road", directed by Bruce Beresford, another well-known Australian. Her most celebrated movies include "Lord of the Rings" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
Highlights of her Career:
- In 1998 she has won a Golden Globe, a BAFTA award and an Oscar nomination for her remarkable portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I
- In 2005 she won an Oscar for starring as Katherine Hepburn in "The Aviator" by Martin Scorsese
- She received three Oscar nominations:
- In 2006, for best supporting actress in "Notes on a Scandal"
- In 2007, for the best actress in "Elizabeth the Golden Age", the sequel to her first movie "Elizabeth"
- In 2007, for best supporting actress in "I'm Not There", where she played one of the six Bob Dylan characters in the movie
Along with a notable list of awards and nominations she has a star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame since 2008.
Rose Byrne made her screen debut in 1994 with a small role in the film "Dallas Doll."
Highlights of her Career:
- In 2000, she played the leading lady in the Australian film" The Goddess of 1967", for which she has won a Venice Film Festival award for Best Actress
- From 2007 to 2012 for her influential portrayal of Ellen Parsons in the cable television series "Damages," she has won two Golden Globe and two Emmy nominations
- In 2011, she has done the critically acclaimed and fiscally flourishing films "Insidious," "X-Men: First Class" and "Bridesmaids"
- From 2004 to 2006 Byrne was the face of "Max Factor"
- She was included in the list of Most Beautiful People of 2007 in "Who Magazine"
- She is a ambassador for NIDA's Young Actors Studio
- In 2006 she was one of the members of Tropfest jury and in 2007 member of Tropfest@Tribeca
- By being the face of the "2007 Designers United campaign" she has supported UNICEF Australia
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar