Australian Actresses Who Made it Big in Hollywood
By ambika thakur | January 7, 2014 10:15 AM EST
There are a lot of Australian actresses who have made it big in Hollywood. Here are compiled information about three Australian actresses that have made an international career in movies and made their country proud. Actresses Nicole Kidman,Cate Blanchett and Rose Byrne are well-known Australian women that made a name in Hollywood as well. Below is a brief outline of their silver screen accomplishments.
Jury member of the 66th Cannes Film Festival actress Nicole Kidman arrives on stage during the opening ceremony of the 66th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes May 15, 2013. The Cannes Film Festival runs from May 15 to May 26.
Kidman is one of the best actresses in Hollywood and one of the most famous Australians. Among her many movies a few that have left a deep impression on viewers' heart would be "Moulin Rouge" and "Australia." She began her career in the early 80s and done children's movie "BMX Bandits" and "Bush Christmas". She has also played in TV shows including; "Five Mile Creek" and "A Country Practice."
In 1989 Kidman was highly acclaimed for her leading role in the Australian film "Dead Calm." She rose to celebrity status after this.
Her career includes:
- In 2001, she has won an Oscar for her portrayal of Virginia Wolf in "The Hours"
- Three Golden Globe awards:
- In 1995 for her work in "To Die For"
- In 2001 for "Moulin Rouge"
- In 2002 for "The Hours"
Many times she has been nominated for the Golden Globe, Oscar and many other esteemed awards and nominations of the tinsel town. Since 2003, she has her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In 2006, she topped the list of the highest-paid actresses in Hollywood and in the same year Australia has honoured her contribution to film industry and philanthropic works by making Nicole Kidman a Companion of the Order of Australia. In 2008, in the epic movie "Australia", directed by Baz Luhrmann she co-starred with eminent Australian actor, Hugh Jackman. Nicole is presently married to one of the well-known Australian singers, Keith Urban and blessed with two daughters.
Blanchette began her career in theatre in 1992. In 1994 she played the role of Ophelia in the "Hamlet" production of the "Company B" theatre in Sydney. In 1997 she has made her international debut in "Paradise Road", directed by Bruce Beresford, another well-known Australian. Her most celebrated movies include "Lord of the Rings" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
Highlights of her Career:
- In 1998 she has won a Golden Globe, a BAFTA award and an Oscar nomination for her remarkable portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I
- In 2005 she won an Oscar for starring as Katherine Hepburn in "The Aviator" by Martin Scorsese
- She received three Oscar nominations:
- In 2006, for best supporting actress in "Notes on a Scandal"
- In 2007, for the best actress in "Elizabeth the Golden Age", the sequel to her first movie "Elizabeth"
- In 2007, for best supporting actress in "I'm Not There", where she played one of the six Bob Dylan characters in the movie
Along with a notable list of awards and nominations she has a star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame since 2008.
Rose Byrne made her screen debut in 1994 with a small role in the film "Dallas Doll."
Highlights of her Career:
- In 2000, she played the leading lady in the Australian film" The Goddess of 1967", for which she has won a Venice Film Festival award for Best Actress
- From 2007 to 2012 for her influential portrayal of Ellen Parsons in the cable television series "Damages," she has won two Golden Globe and two Emmy nominations
- In 2011, she has done the critically acclaimed and fiscally flourishing films "Insidious," "X-Men: First Class" and "Bridesmaids"
- From 2004 to 2006 Byrne was the face of "Max Factor"
- She was included in the list of Most Beautiful People of 2007 in "Who Magazine"
- She is a ambassador for NIDA's Young Actors Studio
- In 2006 she was one of the members of Tropfest jury and in 2007 member of Tropfest@Tribeca
- By being the face of the "2007 Designers United campaign" she has supported UNICEF Australia
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’