Lorde Told To ‘Harden Up’ After Admitting Online Barbs Hurt Her
By Anne Lu | January 7, 2014 5:25 AM EST
Lorde should “harden up.” The 17-year-old Kiwi songstress admitted that she was hurt by the insults directed at her and her boyfriend James Lowe on social media, but photographer David Grr, who was responsible for posting an “awkward-looking” photo of the couple on Facebook, said that she should develop a thick skin now that she’s in showbiz.
Singer Lorde performs "Royals" at The Grammy Nominations Concert Live - Countdown to Music's Biggest Night event at Nokia theatre in Los Angeles.
In an interview with Rookie online magazine, Lorde, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, revealed that she wasn’t quite as indifferent to criticisms as some people thought she was.
“Just the other day this guy who I don’t know but who I have mutual friends with posted a photo of James and me at the beach. This guy is quite famous on Facebook and Tumblr and stuff, and suddenly there were like hundreds of people from my city looking at my picture and making fun of me [in the comments].
“That affected me much more than it should have, because I was transported back to high school, when you get to school and everyone has been talking about something that happened to you maybe the night before or whatever, and straightaway you feel like you’re on the outside of something. I surprised myself at how stressed out I was about it.”
That guy that she mentioned was Grr.
According to him, Lorde contacted him through his Facebook page and told him that he was mean for exposing her to spiteful scrutiny by the public.
He apologised and removed the photo, but he was surprised that she mentioned him (although leaving out his name) in her interview.
But Grr said that Lorde should learn how to ignore hurtful comments because it’s just going to devastate her.
“If she takes everything personally she’s going to be a wreck by the end of the year,” he told Herald on Sunday. “I had to say something to her, I guess as a warning to her, that she needed to harden up a little bit.”
In the same Rookie interview, Lorde also had a thing or two to say about feminism.
“I think I’m speaking for a bunch of girls when I say that the idea that feminism is completely natural and shouldn’t even be something that people find mildly surprising,” she said. “It’s just part of being a girl in 2013. That kind of normal, non-scary, chill vibe that you had with it, and that Rookie had, was really encouraging when I was like 14.”
She added, “Even now, I find a lot of feminist reading quite confusing and that often there’s a set of rules, and people will be like, ‘Oh, this person isn’t a true feminist because they don’t embody this one thing,’ and I don’t know, often there is a lot of grey area that can be hard to navigate.
“It’s just something that I’d assumed was natural for a long time. It’s not some crazy kind of alien concept to me. Did you ever have that problem of getting into feminist writings and then feeling confused about all the ways people’s opinions differed and all of the weird rulebooks and you’re like, what?”
It’s unlikely Lorde was referring to a particular person, but there’s one who didn’t think she’s a feminist: Selena Gomez.
The slightly older Selena once said in an interview that Lorde wasn’t a feminist after the Kiwi singer criticised her “Come & Get It” hit track.
“But I think at the same time that feminism and that specific thing is very sensitive because in my opinion it’s not feminism if you’re tearing down another artist,” the 21-year-old former Disney star told radio station Hot 99.5 in an interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?