Maruti Suzuki Celerio To Go Clutch-Free: Report
By greeshma m | January 6, 2014 9:41 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's rumoured hatch back Celerio is reportedly to come equipped with an Automatic Manual Transmission (AMT) technology, a report suggests.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat October 30, 2012.
According to the Economic Times report, India's largest car maker Maruti is gearing up to offer a new ground-breaking technology of 'Automatic Manual Transmission' (AMT), which is derived from the renowned Formula One motorsport championship.
The AMT technology will allow the drivers to change the manual gears without clutch. The report claimed that the technology will debut at the upcoming Auto Expo 2014 which is scheduled to be held in Delhi in February with Maruti's much anticipated hatchback YL7 aka Celerio. Apparently, Maruti's upcoming offers are likely to do away with the third clutch pedal completely.
"It gives the comfort of an automatic transmission and the fuel efficiency of a manual transmission," a senior Maruti Suzuki executive told the ET adding: "Customers can change gears like any automatic transmission car but the cost of this will be like a regular manual-geared car."
Suzuki Celerio is expected to replace Maruti A-Star and Estlilo in India. The car is said to be the A:wind concept car unveiled by Suzuki at the recently concluded Thailand International Motor Show. According to rumours, the Celerio will be powered by 1.0 liter K-Series engine which can generate a maximum power of 67 bhp and peak torque of 90 Nm at 3500 RPM. The engine, which powers the Maruti Alto K10, currently offers fuel efficiency of 20.2 kmpl and is likely to be retuned for better mileage in Celerio engine. The speculations are rife that Maruti will offer the next hatchback in both diesel and petrol options in India.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Fairfax Chief Executive Greg Hywood Reiterates Commitment to Radio; No Merger With Macquarie Radio
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)