Maruti Suzuki Celerio To Go Clutch-Free: Report
By greeshma m | January 6, 2014 9:41 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's rumoured hatch back Celerio is reportedly to come equipped with an Automatic Manual Transmission (AMT) technology, a report suggests.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat October 30, 2012.
According to the Economic Times report, India's largest car maker Maruti is gearing up to offer a new ground-breaking technology of 'Automatic Manual Transmission' (AMT), which is derived from the renowned Formula One motorsport championship.
The AMT technology will allow the drivers to change the manual gears without clutch. The report claimed that the technology will debut at the upcoming Auto Expo 2014 which is scheduled to be held in Delhi in February with Maruti's much anticipated hatchback YL7 aka Celerio. Apparently, Maruti's upcoming offers are likely to do away with the third clutch pedal completely.
"It gives the comfort of an automatic transmission and the fuel efficiency of a manual transmission," a senior Maruti Suzuki executive told the ET adding: "Customers can change gears like any automatic transmission car but the cost of this will be like a regular manual-geared car."
Suzuki Celerio is expected to replace Maruti A-Star and Estlilo in India. The car is said to be the A:wind concept car unveiled by Suzuki at the recently concluded Thailand International Motor Show. According to rumours, the Celerio will be powered by 1.0 liter K-Series engine which can generate a maximum power of 67 bhp and peak torque of 90 Nm at 3500 RPM. The engine, which powers the Maruti Alto K10, currently offers fuel efficiency of 20.2 kmpl and is likely to be retuned for better mileage in Celerio engine. The speculations are rife that Maruti will offer the next hatchback in both diesel and petrol options in India.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]