Maruti Suzuki Celerio To Go Clutch-Free: Report
By greeshma m | January 6, 2014 9:41 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki's rumoured hatch back Celerio is reportedly to come equipped with an Automatic Manual Transmission (AMT) technology, a report suggests.
A worker cleans a Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire car as he is being reflected on a car at the company's stock yard at Sanand in Gujarat October 30, 2012.
According to the Economic Times report, India's largest car maker Maruti is gearing up to offer a new ground-breaking technology of 'Automatic Manual Transmission' (AMT), which is derived from the renowned Formula One motorsport championship.
The AMT technology will allow the drivers to change the manual gears without clutch. The report claimed that the technology will debut at the upcoming Auto Expo 2014 which is scheduled to be held in Delhi in February with Maruti's much anticipated hatchback YL7 aka Celerio. Apparently, Maruti's upcoming offers are likely to do away with the third clutch pedal completely.
"It gives the comfort of an automatic transmission and the fuel efficiency of a manual transmission," a senior Maruti Suzuki executive told the ET adding: "Customers can change gears like any automatic transmission car but the cost of this will be like a regular manual-geared car."
Suzuki Celerio is expected to replace Maruti A-Star and Estlilo in India. The car is said to be the A:wind concept car unveiled by Suzuki at the recently concluded Thailand International Motor Show. According to rumours, the Celerio will be powered by 1.0 liter K-Series engine which can generate a maximum power of 67 bhp and peak torque of 90 Nm at 3500 RPM. The engine, which powers the Maruti Alto K10, currently offers fuel efficiency of 20.2 kmpl and is likely to be retuned for better mileage in Celerio engine. The speculations are rife that Maruti will offer the next hatchback in both diesel and petrol options in India.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS