Nintendo Title Bravely Default Modulates Scantily Dressed Characters for Western Release, Demo for U.S. Released [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | January 6, 2014 9:33 PM EST
Developer and publisher, Square Unix's new game for Nintendo 3DS - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy- has been censored by the company for its upcoming release and has modulated the use of scanty costumes and age of the characters, a post on IGN Forums said.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy will release on 7 February, 2014.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a Japanese video game that is billed as the spiritual successor of the 2010's Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Having already released in Japan on 5 December and Europe on 6 December, North America's release is slated for 7 February, 2014.
The localization of the game's content for both European and North America have undergone censorship in terms of the ages of the main characters. They were changed from 15 in Japanese version to 18 in western version, while the ages of other characters were changed from 17 to 20, noted The Final Fantasy Wiki.
Apart from this, it was spotted that the costumes of the characters were also changed according to BangSilverGang, a forum user. The user posted the photograph showcasing the difference and the act to cover the characters that were scantily dressed. He also said that the translation from Japanese to English also made the studio - responsible for the localization -drop many of the dialogues that suggested sexual innuendos from the game.
This is not the first time that the content has been edited to suit the local audience while adapting the release from Japanese to western world. Japanese title, Fire Emblem: Awakening had a DLC mission called Summer Scramble that was edited when being released to western countries. The game had a scene that explicitly showed the backside of a female character in the game which was blocked in the Western release by a cloth piece.
Bravely Default is being released in North America with a T for Teen rating and it was rated Cero C or 15-plus in Japan.
Meanwhile, the demo of the game has been out on the U.S. eShop. This demo has a side-quest that is unique because it is not present in the full game. Moreover, the progress of the character will be carried over to the main game.
(YouTube Courtesy: NiNTENDOMiNATi0N)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS