Nintendo Title Bravely Default Modulates Scantily Dressed Characters for Western Release, Demo for U.S. Released [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | January 6, 2014 9:33 PM EST
Developer and publisher, Square Unix's new game for Nintendo 3DS - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy- has been censored by the company for its upcoming release and has modulated the use of scanty costumes and age of the characters, a post on IGN Forums said.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy will release on 7 February, 2014.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a Japanese video game that is billed as the spiritual successor of the 2010's Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Having already released in Japan on 5 December and Europe on 6 December, North America's release is slated for 7 February, 2014.
The localization of the game's content for both European and North America have undergone censorship in terms of the ages of the main characters. They were changed from 15 in Japanese version to 18 in western version, while the ages of other characters were changed from 17 to 20, noted The Final Fantasy Wiki.
Apart from this, it was spotted that the costumes of the characters were also changed according to BangSilverGang, a forum user. The user posted the photograph showcasing the difference and the act to cover the characters that were scantily dressed. He also said that the translation from Japanese to English also made the studio - responsible for the localization -drop many of the dialogues that suggested sexual innuendos from the game.
This is not the first time that the content has been edited to suit the local audience while adapting the release from Japanese to western world. Japanese title, Fire Emblem: Awakening had a DLC mission called Summer Scramble that was edited when being released to western countries. The game had a scene that explicitly showed the backside of a female character in the game which was blocked in the Western release by a cloth piece.
Bravely Default is being released in North America with a T for Teen rating and it was rated Cero C or 15-plus in Japan.
Meanwhile, the demo of the game has been out on the U.S. eShop. This demo has a side-quest that is unique because it is not present in the full game. Moreover, the progress of the character will be carried over to the main game.
(YouTube Courtesy: NiNTENDOMiNATi0N)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales