Nintendo Title Bravely Default Modulates Scantily Dressed Characters for Western Release, Demo for U.S. Released [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | January 6, 2014 9:33 PM EST
Developer and publisher, Square Unix's new game for Nintendo 3DS - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy- has been censored by the company for its upcoming release and has modulated the use of scanty costumes and age of the characters, a post on IGN Forums said.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy will release on 7 February, 2014.
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is a Japanese video game that is billed as the spiritual successor of the 2010's Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light. Having already released in Japan on 5 December and Europe on 6 December, North America's release is slated for 7 February, 2014.
The localization of the game's content for both European and North America have undergone censorship in terms of the ages of the main characters. They were changed from 15 in Japanese version to 18 in western version, while the ages of other characters were changed from 17 to 20, noted The Final Fantasy Wiki.
Apart from this, it was spotted that the costumes of the characters were also changed according to BangSilverGang, a forum user. The user posted the photograph showcasing the difference and the act to cover the characters that were scantily dressed. He also said that the translation from Japanese to English also made the studio - responsible for the localization -drop many of the dialogues that suggested sexual innuendos from the game.
This is not the first time that the content has been edited to suit the local audience while adapting the release from Japanese to western world. Japanese title, Fire Emblem: Awakening had a DLC mission called Summer Scramble that was edited when being released to western countries. The game had a scene that explicitly showed the backside of a female character in the game which was blocked in the Western release by a cloth piece.
Bravely Default is being released in North America with a T for Teen rating and it was rated Cero C or 15-plus in Japan.
Meanwhile, the demo of the game has been out on the U.S. eShop. This demo has a side-quest that is unique because it is not present in the full game. Moreover, the progress of the character will be carried over to the main game.
(YouTube Courtesy: NiNTENDOMiNATi0N)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop