'American Idol' Host Ryan Seacrest's Typo Keyboard for iPhone Being Sued by Blackberry for Patent Infringement [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | January 6, 2014 8:36 PM EST
"American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest's Typo Keyboard for iPhone is being sued by Blackberry for patent infringement. Blackberry Ltd. filed a lawsuit in the Northern District of California against Typo Products LLC on Friday, Jan. 3, 2014.
Blackberry claims that Typo Keyboards' Keyboard Case for iPhone 5/5S illegally copied their QWERTY keyboard technology and designs, which they have pioneered years ago for their smartphones.
Blackberry Ltd. is reportedly seeking a court order preventing Typo Products LLC from selling its Typo Keyboards' Keyboard Case for iPhone 5/5S without a licensing agreement. Blackberry Ltd. is also seeking unspecified damages from Typo Products LLC. Blackberry Ltd. released an official press statement on Jan. 3, 2014 about the lawsuit it filed against Typo.
"This is a blatant infringement against BlackBerry's iconic keyboard, and we will vigorously protect our intellectual property against any company that attempts to copy our unique design. From the beginning, BlackBerry has always focused on offering an exceptional typing experience that combines a great design with ergonomic excellence. We are flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones, but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations," said BlackBerry's General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer Steve Zipperstein in Blackberry's press release which can be found on its Web site.
CREDIT: YouTube/Typo Keyboards
Typo Products LLC was co-founded by "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest and entrepreneur Laurence Hallier, who also serves as Typo's CEO. The Typo Keyboards' Keyboard Case for iPhone 5/5S co-inventors are Ryan Hyde and Jonathan Goodrich.
According to Typo's Web site, the Typo Keyboard Case for iPhone 5/5S was created to eliminate the need to carry two phones. It also encourages loyal Blackberry users, who are partial to the company's tactile keyboards, to switch on over to iPhone.
Typo Products LLC hasn't released the Typo Keyboard Case for iPhone 5/5S out in the market, but the company is already accepting pre-orders for $99 USD.
According to Tech Times, Typo Products LLC has responded to the allegations of Blackberry Ltd. by saying that Typo will defend itself in court because Blackberry's lawsuit has "no merit." Typo emailed the statement found below to Tech Times.
"We are aware of the lawsuit that Blackberry filed against Typo Products. Although we respect Blackberry and its intellectual property, we believe that Blackberry's claims against Typo lack merit and we intend to defend the case vigorously. We are excited about our innovative keyboard design, which is the culmination of years of development and research. The Typo keyboard has garnered an overwhelmingly positive response from the public. We are also looking forward to our product launch at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas next week and remain on track to begin shipping pre-orders at the end of January," said Typo LLC company spokesperson Joanne Freed in a Tech Times report.
Seacrest could not be reached for comments about Blackberry's lawsuit against Typo Products LLC as of this writing.
- READ MORE:
Ryan Seacrest Makes Blackberry-like Keyboard Device for iPhones (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Air New Zealand Flies Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Solution to Your Old Unwanted Phones Comes with MobileMuster Scheme
- IBM Named Leader in Worldwide Managed Security Services
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6