Battle of Telcos: AT&T Entices T-Mobile Users to Switch Service Provider with Up to $450 Offer
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 7:43 PM EST
The Consumer Electronic Show 2014 this week could be another battleground between telco giants AT&T and T-Mobile as they fight for a larger slice of the smartphone mobile market.
The AT&T logo is seen at their store in Times Sqaure in New York April 21, 2010.
AT&T fired the opening salvo last week by offering up to $450 promos for T-Mobile subscribers to shift to AT&T. It consists of a $250 promotional card for AT&T producers and services if they trade in their current smartphones and $200 for the telco giant's double-dipping Next service, a device a full retail price or activation of an owner's gadget.
In turn, ZDNET reports speculations that T-Mobile could announce at the CES a counter offer to pay the early termination fees (ETFs) for AT&T clients to change to T-Mobile. Called project Houdini, Washington Post said T-Mobile would give new subscribers, especially families, up to $350 of credit to cover the ETFs from their old service provider.
However, ZDNET writer Matthew Miller pointed that while the AT&T offer appears to be attractive, he said there is no savings in switching telcos since T-Mobile charges $130 a month for 5 phones, while it would cost consumers $195 for the same level of service from AT&T.
He commended T-Mobile for shaking up the U.S. wireless space and challenging other telcos to begin thinking outside the box, but at the same time added that T-Mobile clients not satisfied with T-Mobile's coverage and service could use the intense rivalry between the two telcos to switch service provider.
For more of the AT&T and T-Mobile competition, here's a video:
YouTube/My Next Appliance
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge