Battle of Telcos: AT&T Entices T-Mobile Users to Switch Service Provider with Up to $450 Offer
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 7:43 PM EST
The Consumer Electronic Show 2014 this week could be another battleground between telco giants AT&T and T-Mobile as they fight for a larger slice of the smartphone mobile market.
The AT&T logo is seen at their store in Times Sqaure in New York April 21, 2010.
AT&T fired the opening salvo last week by offering up to $450 promos for T-Mobile subscribers to shift to AT&T. It consists of a $250 promotional card for AT&T producers and services if they trade in their current smartphones and $200 for the telco giant's double-dipping Next service, a device a full retail price or activation of an owner's gadget.
In turn, ZDNET reports speculations that T-Mobile could announce at the CES a counter offer to pay the early termination fees (ETFs) for AT&T clients to change to T-Mobile. Called project Houdini, Washington Post said T-Mobile would give new subscribers, especially families, up to $350 of credit to cover the ETFs from their old service provider.
However, ZDNET writer Matthew Miller pointed that while the AT&T offer appears to be attractive, he said there is no savings in switching telcos since T-Mobile charges $130 a month for 5 phones, while it would cost consumers $195 for the same level of service from AT&T.
He commended T-Mobile for shaking up the U.S. wireless space and challenging other telcos to begin thinking outside the box, but at the same time added that T-Mobile clients not satisfied with T-Mobile's coverage and service could use the intense rivalry between the two telcos to switch service provider.
For more of the AT&T and T-Mobile competition, here's a video:
YouTube/My Next Appliance
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install