Anderson Silva Will Not Retire From UFC
By Rachelle Corpuz | January 6, 2014 7:31 PM EST
After his shocking leg injury, Anderson Silva will not retire from UFC, according to Jorge Guimaraes, his long-time manager.
Gimaraes has exclusively spoken to TMZ and revealed to the popular entertainment gossip Web site that UFC fans don't need to fret because the Brazilian mixed martial artist will return to the octagon ring.
"Trust me, he will be back," Gimaraes told TMZ. Silva had his second X-ray and everything looks great, according to his manager. "It was a clean break so the nerves are okay," he added. "He's already started physical therapy and he's moving his toes," Gimaraes noted.
Silva, himself, was reportedly also eager to find out when he will be able to train.
He faced Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 168. It was the second time that the two mixed martial artists came face-to-face in the octagon ring following their first meeting July 6, 2013 at UFC 162. Silva lost to Weidman in the second round of UFC 162, which ended his streak of longest title reign in the history of UFC.
Silva lost again to Weidman at UFC 168. Weidman has pretty much dominated the fight. It was reported that Silva may have already cracked his shin bone during the first round of the rematch after Weidman blocked one of his kicks. In the second round, Weidman blocked Silva's kick from the inside of his knee, resulting to one of the most gruesome injuries in UFC. Silva broke his leg as Weidman took home the victory.
Dr. Steven Sanders, UFC's resident orthopedic surgeon, performed an operation on Silva's leg and it has been conveyed that the operation was successful. A rod was put in place to make his shin bone stable. In general, it will take 3 months to 6 months for Silva to fully recover.
Silva's son has initially expressed his desire for his father to quit fighting. However, only Silva can ultimately determine and measure the exact condition of his body. He is the only one who can really decide if it is really time for him to hang up his gloves. Whether he wants to get back into fighting or not, we are hoping for his fast recovery.
Silva is currently on the road to recovery in getting his strength back in Los Angeles with his family.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015