Sensex Down over 100 Points; ICICI Bank Falls
January 6, 2014 7:18 PM EST
The BSE Sensex and the Nifty are down around 0.5 percent each, heading for a fourth consecutive day of decline. It would also mean domestic shares have retreated in each trading session of 2014.
People watch a large screen displaying Sensex on the facade of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) building in Mumbai December 9, 2013.
Losses track lower Asian shares after growth in China's services sector slowed sharply last month, raising concerns about the pace of recovery in the world's second-largest economy.
Foreign institutional investors sold 6.08 billion rupees worth of index futures on Friday, dampening sentiment.
Overseas investors also sold shares worth 180 million rupees on Friday, provisional exchange data shows.
At home, the HSBC Services Purchasing Managers' Index, compiled by Markit, fell to 46.7 in December from 47.2 in November as new orders dwindled, although firms hired at their fastest pace in five months.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped