Arvind Kejriwal to Scrap License of Power Companies if they Refuse CAG Audit
By Karuna Chandwani | January 6, 2014 6:55 PM EST
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung announced on Monday that Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is likely to cancel licenses of power distribution companies if they do not allow audit of their accounts.
Arvind Kejriwal, leader of the Aam Aadmi (Common Man) Party
Addressing the Delhi Assembly, Jung said that he expected the AAP government to fulfill all the promises it made to the people.
"In the polls, people have voted for change and even the government is aware of the responsibility people have given it," Jung said while addressing the Delhi Vidhan Sabha. He added that the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government is expected to fulfill its promises made to the people.
The three major power distribution companies in Delhi had said that the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) cannot check their accounts since they are private companies, but the argument was dismissed by the Delhi High Court referring to the 2G spectrum allocation case where the CAG had examined private telecom companies.
"A CAG audit of electricity companies in the national capital from the time of privatisation shall be carried out. The government is willing to even consider cancelling the licenses of companies that do not cooperate in the conduct of that audit. The government shall not be a silent bystander," Jung said.
However, the Delhi Congress president Arvinder Singh Lovely, who has supported the AAP government in the Delhi Assembly, disagreed.
"It is for the government to decide on cancelling licences of power companies. It would have been better had Lt Governor's address been detailed," Lovely said.
"I can't say we (Congress) are satisfied with it. The AAP ministers are new and would learn. We have given support to the AAP and it must specify its agenda. We will ask for it in a few days," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- China Is Building An Island In The Spratly Islands—Report
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Eurozone Indicators Forewarn Imminent Recession: Germany's Manufacturing Sector Slows
- Prince Charles to Reshape Monarchy When He Becomes King – Report
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues