Arvind Kejriwal to Scrap License of Power Companies if they Refuse CAG Audit
By Karuna Chandwani | January 6, 2014 6:55 PM EST
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung announced on Monday that Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is likely to cancel licenses of power distribution companies if they do not allow audit of their accounts.
Arvind Kejriwal, leader of the Aam Aadmi (Common Man) Party
Addressing the Delhi Assembly, Jung said that he expected the AAP government to fulfill all the promises it made to the people.
"In the polls, people have voted for change and even the government is aware of the responsibility people have given it," Jung said while addressing the Delhi Vidhan Sabha. He added that the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government is expected to fulfill its promises made to the people.
The three major power distribution companies in Delhi had said that the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) cannot check their accounts since they are private companies, but the argument was dismissed by the Delhi High Court referring to the 2G spectrum allocation case where the CAG had examined private telecom companies.
"A CAG audit of electricity companies in the national capital from the time of privatisation shall be carried out. The government is willing to even consider cancelling the licenses of companies that do not cooperate in the conduct of that audit. The government shall not be a silent bystander," Jung said.
However, the Delhi Congress president Arvinder Singh Lovely, who has supported the AAP government in the Delhi Assembly, disagreed.
"It is for the government to decide on cancelling licences of power companies. It would have been better had Lt Governor's address been detailed," Lovely said.
"I can't say we (Congress) are satisfied with it. The AAP ministers are new and would learn. We have given support to the AAP and it must specify its agenda. We will ask for it in a few days," he added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports