Legendary Portuguese Football Player Eusebio Dead at 71 [PHOTOS]
By Janice Somosot | January 6, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014 at 71 years old after suffering from cardio-pulmonary arrest. Eusebio has been hospitalised before due to numerous health problems including a stroke on June 2012. He died in Lisbon, Portugal. Eusebio would have been 72 years old on Jan. 25, 2014.
Joao Malheiro, the author of "Eusebio - my story," spoke to Eusebio on the phone a week before his death to arrange for a lunch meeting. Sadly, he wasn't able to meet the esteemed football player anymore.
"Eusebio showed signs of fragility lately, but I didn't expect this at all," said Malheiro in a Sydney Morning Herald report.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the public television station RTP has reported that the remains of the legendary football player will be transferred to the Luz stadium in Lisbon.
The Portuguese government reportedly decreed three days of national mourning, with flags in Lisbon to fly at half-mast. And, a minute of silence will be offered in honor of Eusebio at the Portuguese Cup games.
Eusebio, whose full name is Eusébio da Silva Ferreira, was born in Lourenço Marques, Portuguese East Africa on Jan. 25, 1942. He was a famous football player. Eusebio scored a total of 733 goals in 745 matches throughout his professional football career as a football forward. He was also the top scorer in the 1966 World Cup. Because of his accomplishments and his exceptional football skills, he is considered as one the greatest football players of all time.
Eusebio was also known by the nickname "Black Panther." Like the animal, he's very fast on the football field.
He played for several football teams. From 1957-1960, he was part of the Sporting de Lourenço Marques. From 1960-1975, he was in the Benfica team. In 1975, he was with Boston Minutemen and Monterrey. From 1975-1976, Eusebio played for the Toronto Metros-Croatia. Then, in 1976, he was part of Beira-Mar. From 1976-1977, he was in the Las Vegas Quicksilvers. From 1977-1978, he chose to be part of the União de Tomar. And, from 1978-1979, he played for the New Jersey Americans.
He was also part of the national team of Portugal from 1961-1973.
Now that legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died at the age of 71 years old, a lot of his fans, friends and colleagues are deeply saddened by his demise. They tweeted about Eusebio's death and their loss. Check out some of their tweets below.
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) January 5, 2014
Eusebio was a football & FIFA ambassador. He’ll be sorely missed. Rest in peace Black Panther. http://t.co/NBaldFohkv pic.twitter.com/ejC1W0QgLB — Joseph S Blatter (@SeppBlatter) January 5, 2014
— George Weah (@weah_official) January 6, 2014
- READ MORE:
Cristiano Ronaldo Overtakes Eusebio in List of Top Goal Scorers, Tells Eusebio Not to Feel Upset Over Comparison, Launches CR7 Boys Underwear Competition (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast