Legendary Portuguese Football Player Eusebio Dead at 71 [PHOTOS]
By Janice Somosot | January 6, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014 at 71 years old after suffering from cardio-pulmonary arrest. Eusebio has been hospitalised before due to numerous health problems including a stroke on June 2012. He died in Lisbon, Portugal. Eusebio would have been 72 years old on Jan. 25, 2014.
Joao Malheiro, the author of "Eusebio - my story," spoke to Eusebio on the phone a week before his death to arrange for a lunch meeting. Sadly, he wasn't able to meet the esteemed football player anymore.
"Eusebio showed signs of fragility lately, but I didn't expect this at all," said Malheiro in a Sydney Morning Herald report.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the public television station RTP has reported that the remains of the legendary football player will be transferred to the Luz stadium in Lisbon.
The Portuguese government reportedly decreed three days of national mourning, with flags in Lisbon to fly at half-mast. And, a minute of silence will be offered in honor of Eusebio at the Portuguese Cup games.
Eusebio, whose full name is Eusébio da Silva Ferreira, was born in Lourenço Marques, Portuguese East Africa on Jan. 25, 1942. He was a famous football player. Eusebio scored a total of 733 goals in 745 matches throughout his professional football career as a football forward. He was also the top scorer in the 1966 World Cup. Because of his accomplishments and his exceptional football skills, he is considered as one the greatest football players of all time.
Eusebio was also known by the nickname "Black Panther." Like the animal, he's very fast on the football field.
He played for several football teams. From 1957-1960, he was part of the Sporting de Lourenço Marques. From 1960-1975, he was in the Benfica team. In 1975, he was with Boston Minutemen and Monterrey. From 1975-1976, Eusebio played for the Toronto Metros-Croatia. Then, in 1976, he was part of Beira-Mar. From 1976-1977, he was in the Las Vegas Quicksilvers. From 1977-1978, he chose to be part of the União de Tomar. And, from 1978-1979, he played for the New Jersey Americans.
He was also part of the national team of Portugal from 1961-1973.
Now that legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died at the age of 71 years old, a lot of his fans, friends and colleagues are deeply saddened by his demise. They tweeted about Eusebio's death and their loss. Check out some of their tweets below.
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) January 5, 2014
Eusebio was a football & FIFA ambassador. He’ll be sorely missed. Rest in peace Black Panther. http://t.co/NBaldFohkv pic.twitter.com/ejC1W0QgLB — Joseph S Blatter (@SeppBlatter) January 5, 2014
— George Weah (@weah_official) January 6, 2014
- READ MORE:
Cristiano Ronaldo Overtakes Eusebio in List of Top Goal Scorers, Tells Eusebio Not to Feel Upset Over Comparison, Launches CR7 Boys Underwear Competition (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence