Legendary Portuguese Football Player Eusebio Dead at 71 [PHOTOS]
By Janice Somosot | January 6, 2014 6:42 PM EST
Legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014 at 71 years old after suffering from cardio-pulmonary arrest. Eusebio has been hospitalised before due to numerous health problems including a stroke on June 2012. He died in Lisbon, Portugal. Eusebio would have been 72 years old on Jan. 25, 2014.
Joao Malheiro, the author of "Eusebio - my story," spoke to Eusebio on the phone a week before his death to arrange for a lunch meeting. Sadly, he wasn't able to meet the esteemed football player anymore.
"Eusebio showed signs of fragility lately, but I didn't expect this at all," said Malheiro in a Sydney Morning Herald report.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the public television station RTP has reported that the remains of the legendary football player will be transferred to the Luz stadium in Lisbon.
The Portuguese government reportedly decreed three days of national mourning, with flags in Lisbon to fly at half-mast. And, a minute of silence will be offered in honor of Eusebio at the Portuguese Cup games.
Eusebio, whose full name is Eusébio da Silva Ferreira, was born in Lourenço Marques, Portuguese East Africa on Jan. 25, 1942. He was a famous football player. Eusebio scored a total of 733 goals in 745 matches throughout his professional football career as a football forward. He was also the top scorer in the 1966 World Cup. Because of his accomplishments and his exceptional football skills, he is considered as one the greatest football players of all time.
Eusebio was also known by the nickname "Black Panther." Like the animal, he's very fast on the football field.
He played for several football teams. From 1957-1960, he was part of the Sporting de Lourenço Marques. From 1960-1975, he was in the Benfica team. In 1975, he was with Boston Minutemen and Monterrey. From 1975-1976, Eusebio played for the Toronto Metros-Croatia. Then, in 1976, he was part of Beira-Mar. From 1976-1977, he was in the Las Vegas Quicksilvers. From 1977-1978, he chose to be part of the União de Tomar. And, from 1978-1979, he played for the New Jersey Americans.
He was also part of the national team of Portugal from 1961-1973.
Now that legendary Portuguese football player Eusebio has died at the age of 71 years old, a lot of his fans, friends and colleagues are deeply saddened by his demise. They tweeted about Eusebio's death and their loss. Check out some of their tweets below.
— Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) January 5, 2014
Eusebio was a football & FIFA ambassador. He’ll be sorely missed. Rest in peace Black Panther. http://t.co/NBaldFohkv pic.twitter.com/ejC1W0QgLB — Joseph S Blatter (@SeppBlatter) January 5, 2014
— George Weah (@weah_official) January 6, 2014
- READ MORE:
Cristiano Ronaldo Overtakes Eusebio in List of Top Goal Scorers, Tells Eusebio Not to Feel Upset Over Comparison, Launches CR7 Boys Underwear Competition (Click HERE)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements