Can You Believe These 8 Movies Are Turning 30 This Year?
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Do you need suggestions for your next movie marathon? Why not go the throwback route and watch again one or more of these eight movies which came out of the moviehouses 30 years ago.
Warning: Reading the plot synopses in the list may cause a major case of nostalgia.
1. Karate Kid
Daniel LaRusso, a new kid in the community, enters the martial arts training center where he is beaten heavily by his classmates. He chances upon Mr. Miyagi, a Japanese immigrant who works as a handyman and volunteers to teach him not only karate but also important lessons in life.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Wax on, wax off...'
Three unemployed parapsychiatrists set up a business at an old firehouse in New York City. They call themselves Ghostbusters, who are tasked to trap ghosts and spirits from haunted houses all over the Big Apple.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Who'd you gonna call? Ghostbusters!'
Ren McCormack and his family move from Chicago to a small Midwestern town where rock music and dancing have been banned. Thanks to their local minister. With the senior prom around the corner, Ren gathers enough courage to re-introduce dance and music to revitalize the spirit of the repressed townspeople.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Did you ever get busted for bopping?'
4. The Muppets Take Manhattan
Jim Henson's famous Muppets frolick around the streets of Manhattan as Kermit and friends try to sell their show to Broadway musical producers. They find out along the way that it will be harder than they thought.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm staying! You hear that, New York? THE FROG IS STAYING!'
5. Sixteen Candles
Samantha 'Sam' Baker is turning 16, but she is about to experience the worst birthday ever - her family forgets her birthday due to her sister's wedding. Her fear of having Jake Ryan discover her feeling for him is about to come true, and her grandparents bring in a bizaare foreign exchange student.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Ever since my twelfth, I've been looking forward to my sweet sixteen.'
6. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
The second of the Indiana Jones' movies follows the lead character as he searches a mystical stone and stumbles upon a cult which practices child slavery, black magic and human sacrifice.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Willie, we-are-going-to-DIE!'
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street
Nancy Thompson and her friends Tina Gray, Rod Lane and Glen Lantz are having nightmares about a badly scarred figure who wears gloves with finger knives. Realizing that the man was Freddy Krueger, a serial killer in their community, and the rest of the children are being killed in their sleep, Nancy must stay awake to survive.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.'
8. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
The crew of USS Enterprise returns to Earth after Spock's death. It was then decommissioned until fully repaired, but when the crew learns that Spock's spirit is held in the mind of Dr. McCoy, they steal the Enterprise to return Spock's body back to Earth.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I have been and ever shall be your friend.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments