Can You Believe These 8 Movies Are Turning 30 This Year?
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Do you need suggestions for your next movie marathon? Why not go the throwback route and watch again one or more of these eight movies which came out of the moviehouses 30 years ago.
Warning: Reading the plot synopses in the list may cause a major case of nostalgia.
1. Karate Kid
Daniel LaRusso, a new kid in the community, enters the martial arts training center where he is beaten heavily by his classmates. He chances upon Mr. Miyagi, a Japanese immigrant who works as a handyman and volunteers to teach him not only karate but also important lessons in life.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Wax on, wax off...'
Three unemployed parapsychiatrists set up a business at an old firehouse in New York City. They call themselves Ghostbusters, who are tasked to trap ghosts and spirits from haunted houses all over the Big Apple.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Who'd you gonna call? Ghostbusters!'
Ren McCormack and his family move from Chicago to a small Midwestern town where rock music and dancing have been banned. Thanks to their local minister. With the senior prom around the corner, Ren gathers enough courage to re-introduce dance and music to revitalize the spirit of the repressed townspeople.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Did you ever get busted for bopping?'
4. The Muppets Take Manhattan
Jim Henson's famous Muppets frolick around the streets of Manhattan as Kermit and friends try to sell their show to Broadway musical producers. They find out along the way that it will be harder than they thought.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm staying! You hear that, New York? THE FROG IS STAYING!'
5. Sixteen Candles
Samantha 'Sam' Baker is turning 16, but she is about to experience the worst birthday ever - her family forgets her birthday due to her sister's wedding. Her fear of having Jake Ryan discover her feeling for him is about to come true, and her grandparents bring in a bizaare foreign exchange student.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Ever since my twelfth, I've been looking forward to my sweet sixteen.'
6. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
The second of the Indiana Jones' movies follows the lead character as he searches a mystical stone and stumbles upon a cult which practices child slavery, black magic and human sacrifice.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Willie, we-are-going-to-DIE!'
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street
Nancy Thompson and her friends Tina Gray, Rod Lane and Glen Lantz are having nightmares about a badly scarred figure who wears gloves with finger knives. Realizing that the man was Freddy Krueger, a serial killer in their community, and the rest of the children are being killed in their sleep, Nancy must stay awake to survive.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.'
8. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
The crew of USS Enterprise returns to Earth after Spock's death. It was then decommissioned until fully repaired, but when the crew learns that Spock's spirit is held in the mind of Dr. McCoy, they steal the Enterprise to return Spock's body back to Earth.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I have been and ever shall be your friend.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions