Can You Believe These 8 Movies Are Turning 30 This Year?
By Jesselle Maminta | January 6, 2014 5:42 PM EST
Do you need suggestions for your next movie marathon? Why not go the throwback route and watch again one or more of these eight movies which came out of the moviehouses 30 years ago.
Warning: Reading the plot synopses in the list may cause a major case of nostalgia.
1. Karate Kid
Daniel LaRusso, a new kid in the community, enters the martial arts training center where he is beaten heavily by his classmates. He chances upon Mr. Miyagi, a Japanese immigrant who works as a handyman and volunteers to teach him not only karate but also important lessons in life.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Wax on, wax off...'
Three unemployed parapsychiatrists set up a business at an old firehouse in New York City. They call themselves Ghostbusters, who are tasked to trap ghosts and spirits from haunted houses all over the Big Apple.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Who'd you gonna call? Ghostbusters!'
Ren McCormack and his family move from Chicago to a small Midwestern town where rock music and dancing have been banned. Thanks to their local minister. With the senior prom around the corner, Ren gathers enough courage to re-introduce dance and music to revitalize the spirit of the repressed townspeople.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Did you ever get busted for bopping?'
4. The Muppets Take Manhattan
Jim Henson's famous Muppets frolick around the streets of Manhattan as Kermit and friends try to sell their show to Broadway musical producers. They find out along the way that it will be harder than they thought.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm staying! You hear that, New York? THE FROG IS STAYING!'
5. Sixteen Candles
Samantha 'Sam' Baker is turning 16, but she is about to experience the worst birthday ever - her family forgets her birthday due to her sister's wedding. Her fear of having Jake Ryan discover her feeling for him is about to come true, and her grandparents bring in a bizaare foreign exchange student.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Ever since my twelfth, I've been looking forward to my sweet sixteen.'
6. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
The second of the Indiana Jones' movies follows the lead character as he searches a mystical stone and stumbles upon a cult which practices child slavery, black magic and human sacrifice.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'Willie, we-are-going-to-DIE!'
7. A Nightmare On Elm Street
Nancy Thompson and her friends Tina Gray, Rod Lane and Glen Lantz are having nightmares about a badly scarred figure who wears gloves with finger knives. Realizing that the man was Freddy Krueger, a serial killer in their community, and the rest of the children are being killed in their sleep, Nancy must stay awake to survive.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.'
8. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
The crew of USS Enterprise returns to Earth after Spock's death. It was then decommissioned until fully repaired, but when the crew learns that Spock's spirit is held in the mind of Dr. McCoy, they steal the Enterprise to return Spock's body back to Earth.
Nostalgia-Inducing Line: 'I have been and ever shall be your friend.'
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border