Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao? Maybe In 2015
By Vanessa Francisco | January 6, 2014 5:04 PM EST
As Floyd Mayweather, Jr. already noted he will not do business with Coach Bob Arum, Manny Pacquiao said the 2013 Boxer of the Year and no. 1-ranked pound-for-pound boxer will have to wait for 2015 if they will ever fight.
Mayweather dismissed a September bout rumor with Pacquiao, saying this is a lie. The Filipino fighter addressed his opponent's feelings about Coach Arum. "Floyd was saying he will only fight me if I separate from Bob Arum and Top Rank," Pacquiao said on an interview with Philboxing's Eddie Alinea.
"It is impossible because my contract is still valid until the end of 2014. If my contract will not be renewed, we can only discuss about a potential fight next year."
Like Mayweather, Pacquiao also denied the chance of a fall bout and rumors of a trip to the U.S. to meet with Mayweather.
"If it was a done deal, it is impossible for me not to know about it. I do not know anything about the reports in the papers. I do not have plans to go to the United States to talk to Floyd. It's also not true. I have been saying it over and over again. I'm not afraid of fighting anybody," Pacquiao said.
Michael Koncz, Manny's advisor, and Arum are now considering who will be Pacquiao's next opponent by April 12 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The choice is likely between Ruslan Provodnikov, Manny's former sparring partner, or Tim Bradley.
"We may well renew the contract with Manny past 2015," Arum said. But Koncz said nothing is final and he and Manny are still looking at all of their options.
Meanwhile, Mayweather plans to return in May with former two-belt 140-pound champion Amir Khan claiming to have signed an agreement to challenge Mayweather's WBC and RING welterweight titles. There have been a lot of speculations claiming that the final details of Mayweather facing Khan at either the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York or The MGM Grand in Las Vegas are close to being completed.
In Mayweather's last fight in September 2013, he dethroned Canelo Alvarez for the WBC and RING 154-pound championships by a majority decision. It grossed a record $150 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports