NBA Trade Rumors: Sacramento Kings Targeting Klay Thompson of Golden State Warriors
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 6, 2014 4:29 PM EST
NBA Trade Rumors - The Sacramento Kings have reportedly set their sight on Golden State Warriors shooting guard Klay Thompson, who is set to become a restricted free agent after next season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at Dallas Mavericks
After getting borderline All-Star Rudy Gay via trade last month, the Kings are apparently not done yet in acquiring talents under its new ownership. According to CBS Sports NBA insider Ken Berger, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Kings are the most aggressive teams on the trading front right now.
The Cavaliers and Kings have been among the most aggressive teams in pursuit of trades, league sources say. On the heels of acquiring Rudy Gay from Toronto, the Kings are "swinging for the fences" on the trade market, one rival executive told Berger.
With the Kings still hoping to make a strong second half surge and squeak into the postseason in a very competitive Western Conference standing, Kings general manager Pete D'Alessandro is expected to come up with another significant deal before the midseason trade deadline.
The Kings have expressed interest in trading for Phoenix Suns point guard Goran Dragic and even Denver Nuggets veteran Andre Miller in an attempt to add some firepower in their backcourt. However, Berger stressed that D'Alessandro's main target will be available in 2015, at the end of Thompson's rookie deal with the Warriors.
"But Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro's true long-term target is said to be Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson, who will be a restricted free agent after next season," Berger stated in his article.
Shooting with the Kings
In just three seasons in the league, Thompson already carved a name as one of the best shooters in the planet. Thompson is averaging 19.7 points, 2.7 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from beyond the three-point line.
Thompson is very much coveted by the Kings GM and it would not be surprising to see the Kings will offer a max contract for the sweet-shooting swingman. If that happens, the Warriors are going to have a hard time matching it because of their commitment with Andrew Bogut, Stephen Curry and now Andre Iguoadala.
"Restricted or not, Thompson would not come cheaply and it's unknown if the Kings as currently constructed would have enough to get a deal done. Thus, it's possible D'Alessandro may be thinking of Thompson as a potential free agent acquisition/sign and trade in a few years," Bryan Rose of Fan Sided said.
For more NBA Trade Rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate