NBA Trade Rumors: Sacramento Kings Targeting Klay Thompson of Golden State Warriors
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 6, 2014 4:29 PM EST
NBA Trade Rumors - The Sacramento Kings have reportedly set their sight on Golden State Warriors shooting guard Klay Thompson, who is set to become a restricted free agent after next season.
NBA: Golden State Warriors at Dallas Mavericks
After getting borderline All-Star Rudy Gay via trade last month, the Kings are apparently not done yet in acquiring talents under its new ownership. According to CBS Sports NBA insider Ken Berger, the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Kings are the most aggressive teams on the trading front right now.
The Cavaliers and Kings have been among the most aggressive teams in pursuit of trades, league sources say. On the heels of acquiring Rudy Gay from Toronto, the Kings are "swinging for the fences" on the trade market, one rival executive told Berger.
With the Kings still hoping to make a strong second half surge and squeak into the postseason in a very competitive Western Conference standing, Kings general manager Pete D'Alessandro is expected to come up with another significant deal before the midseason trade deadline.
The Kings have expressed interest in trading for Phoenix Suns point guard Goran Dragic and even Denver Nuggets veteran Andre Miller in an attempt to add some firepower in their backcourt. However, Berger stressed that D'Alessandro's main target will be available in 2015, at the end of Thompson's rookie deal with the Warriors.
"But Kings GM Pete D'Alessandro's true long-term target is said to be Warriors sharpshooter Klay Thompson, who will be a restricted free agent after next season," Berger stated in his article.
Shooting with the Kings
In just three seasons in the league, Thompson already carved a name as one of the best shooters in the planet. Thompson is averaging 19.7 points, 2.7 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game while shooting 46 percent from beyond the three-point line.
Thompson is very much coveted by the Kings GM and it would not be surprising to see the Kings will offer a max contract for the sweet-shooting swingman. If that happens, the Warriors are going to have a hard time matching it because of their commitment with Andrew Bogut, Stephen Curry and now Andre Iguoadala.
"Restricted or not, Thompson would not come cheaply and it's unknown if the Kings as currently constructed would have enough to get a deal done. Thus, it's possible D'Alessandro may be thinking of Thompson as a potential free agent acquisition/sign and trade in a few years," Bryan Rose of Fan Sided said.
For more NBA Trade Rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports