NBA Trade Rumors: Carmelo Anthony To Chicago Bulls in Exchange For Luol Deng, Taj Gibson, Nikola Mirotic or First-Round Pick in Interesting Trade Scenario
By Lou Ramon Aguila | January 6, 2014 4:20 PM EST
NBA Trade Rumors - The Carmelo Anthony trade rumour saga continues on Sunday with another trade scenario that would surely pique the imagination of every die-hard NBA basketball fan.
In the wake of what Doc Rivers called bogus reporting on Anthony for Blake Griffin swap, another interesting trade scenario is generating some buzz on several basketball forums and social networking sites.
According to Sheridan Hoops, one viable option for the New York Knicks is to trade Anthony to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for Luol Deng, Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic or a first-round pick.
With Anthony becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer, several NBA analysts - including ESPN's Stephen A. Smith - believed the Knicks should trade Melo now while they have a chance to do so. Apparently, Smith feared that the reigning scoring champion could bolt out of the Big Apple, preventing the Knicks to get a solid compensation package.
"Stephen A Smith spoke to sources in the last 24 hours that told him "Melo is out". He's not staying for this, Carmelo Anthony has to be traded before the trading deadline," Smith said via Knicks Nation.
Last week, an anonymous former teammate also revealed what's on Anthony's mind right now, saying the All-Star forward is unlikely to re-sign with the Knickerbockers next summer.
"I think he's leaving," the former teammate told Frank Isola of the New York Daily News. "I've played with Melo for a long time and he knows he can't win here. At this stage, all he wants to do is win. That's why he'll leave."
Anthony Seeing Red
According to New York Post NBA insider Marc Berman, Melo has the Knicks as his top choice despite rumours about him leaving Madison Square Garden. However, it's not also secret that Anthony wants to play for a contender in a big market. The Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and the Chicago Bulls are reportedly the 'wild-cards' in the Melo Sweepstakes.
The Bulls have once again dealt several injuries this season, but no bigger setbacks than Derrick Rose had. Rose, who played just 10 games coming off a year-long knee rehab due to a torn ACL, will miss the remainder of the season due to a torn MCL in his right knee.
Rose is reportedly against any rebuilding effort by the Bulls, though the inclusion of Anthony in the lineup would surely intrigue him. Moreover, Anthony has a lot of respect for Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau, which could make his transition much faster, if traded.
Sheridan Hoops indicated that the Knicks could get a nice haul of compensation in return if they trade Anthony to the Bulls. Deng is a proven two-way player and a perennial All-Star caliber player, while Gibson and possibly Mirotic (first-round pick) will give the team a nice foundation for the future.
On the other hand, Bulls insider Nick Friedell doesn't believe Chicago will go after Anthony next summer because they don't have the flexibility to sign max contract player.
"Everybody who thinks the Bulls are going after Melo -- read this for a reality check. They don't have enough cap space to go after a free agent this summer. If they can bring Mirotic over here it will be a success," Friedell during chat session on ESPN Nation.
More Melo trade speculations are expected to bob out of nowhere as the trade deadline approaches, but one thing is clear here - the ball is in the Knicks' court.
For more NBA Trade Rumors, read more at IBT Sports
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6