Expatistan.com Names Sydney as 11th Most Expensive City in the World
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 4:17 PM EST
Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian wife Crown Princess Mary arrive at the Sydney Opera House for a gala concert celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the world-renowned building October 27, 2013
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Sydney is the 11th most expensive city in the world, according to the Web site expatistan.com, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. However, compared to London, the costliest city, Sydney is 25 per cent cheaper.
The Web site bases its rankings on the information from almost 200,000 respondents on average price of drinks, food and accommodation in 1,600 cities around the world. Gerardo Robledillo, the founder of the site, said its index is updated every time a user enters a new price for any city. He added the site gets between 500 and 1,000 new prices every day.
Also included in the calculation are prices of groceries, electronics, rent and other daily items.
However, Sydney may go up the list if the value of the Australian dollar would further fall, making the price of petrol and other imported items go up, said, Stephen Halmarick, head of economic and market research at Colonial First State Global Asset Management.
When compared to Auckland, New Zealand, Sydney is 28 per cent more expensive. By specific items, food is 10 per cent more expensive in Sydney, housing is 89 per cent higher, transportation 13 per cent, personal care 8 per cent and entertainment 11 per cent, but clothes are 3 per cent cheaper in Sydney.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate