Expatistan.com Names Sydney as 11th Most Expensive City in the World
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 4:17 PM EST
Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian wife Crown Princess Mary arrive at the Sydney Opera House for a gala concert celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the world-renowned building October 27, 2013
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Sydney is the 11th most expensive city in the world, according to the Web site expatistan.com, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. However, compared to London, the costliest city, Sydney is 25 per cent cheaper.
The Web site bases its rankings on the information from almost 200,000 respondents on average price of drinks, food and accommodation in 1,600 cities around the world. Gerardo Robledillo, the founder of the site, said its index is updated every time a user enters a new price for any city. He added the site gets between 500 and 1,000 new prices every day.
Also included in the calculation are prices of groceries, electronics, rent and other daily items.
However, Sydney may go up the list if the value of the Australian dollar would further fall, making the price of petrol and other imported items go up, said, Stephen Halmarick, head of economic and market research at Colonial First State Global Asset Management.
When compared to Auckland, New Zealand, Sydney is 28 per cent more expensive. By specific items, food is 10 per cent more expensive in Sydney, housing is 89 per cent higher, transportation 13 per cent, personal care 8 per cent and entertainment 11 per cent, but clothes are 3 per cent cheaper in Sydney.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch