Expatistan.com Names Sydney as 11th Most Expensive City in the World
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 4:17 PM EST
Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian wife Crown Princess Mary arrive at the Sydney Opera House for a gala concert celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the world-renowned building October 27, 2013
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Sydney is the 11th most expensive city in the world, according to the Web site expatistan.com, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. However, compared to London, the costliest city, Sydney is 25 per cent cheaper.
The Web site bases its rankings on the information from almost 200,000 respondents on average price of drinks, food and accommodation in 1,600 cities around the world. Gerardo Robledillo, the founder of the site, said its index is updated every time a user enters a new price for any city. He added the site gets between 500 and 1,000 new prices every day.
Also included in the calculation are prices of groceries, electronics, rent and other daily items.
However, Sydney may go up the list if the value of the Australian dollar would further fall, making the price of petrol and other imported items go up, said, Stephen Halmarick, head of economic and market research at Colonial First State Global Asset Management.
When compared to Auckland, New Zealand, Sydney is 28 per cent more expensive. By specific items, food is 10 per cent more expensive in Sydney, housing is 89 per cent higher, transportation 13 per cent, personal care 8 per cent and entertainment 11 per cent, but clothes are 3 per cent cheaper in Sydney.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How