Expatistan.com Names Sydney as 11th Most Expensive City in the World
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 6, 2014 4:17 PM EST
Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and his Australian wife Crown Princess Mary arrive at the Sydney Opera House for a gala concert celebrating the 40th Anniversary of the world-renowned building October 27, 2013
YouTube/Al Jazeera English
Sydney is the 11th most expensive city in the world, according to the Web site expatistan.com, reports The Sydney Morning Herald. However, compared to London, the costliest city, Sydney is 25 per cent cheaper.
The Web site bases its rankings on the information from almost 200,000 respondents on average price of drinks, food and accommodation in 1,600 cities around the world. Gerardo Robledillo, the founder of the site, said its index is updated every time a user enters a new price for any city. He added the site gets between 500 and 1,000 new prices every day.
Also included in the calculation are prices of groceries, electronics, rent and other daily items.
However, Sydney may go up the list if the value of the Australian dollar would further fall, making the price of petrol and other imported items go up, said, Stephen Halmarick, head of economic and market research at Colonial First State Global Asset Management.
When compared to Auckland, New Zealand, Sydney is 28 per cent more expensive. By specific items, food is 10 per cent more expensive in Sydney, housing is 89 per cent higher, transportation 13 per cent, personal care 8 per cent and entertainment 11 per cent, but clothes are 3 per cent cheaper in Sydney.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu